Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing 2 csv files and matching content Post 302347777 by ripat on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 11:21:42 AM
Old 08-26-2009
With join:
Code:
 sort file2 | join -t, -11 -21 file1 -

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing files content

hi i have a set of files , i need to compare one file content with other file content, i am using cmp -s abc.1 def.2 , but it is not giving theproper o/p even if the content is different.Please help thanks Satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Comparing/Matching/Counting with 2 files

I have 2 files that I want to do some comparing on. First, I want to find the unique list of devices in file1 and then put them to a new file, file2. I was able to do this without any problem with the following statement: cat file1 | awk '{print $2}' | awk '!x++' > file2Here is what I can't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jontjioe
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing csv files

Hi! I'm just new to shell scripting n simple tasks looks so tough in initial stage. i need to write a script which will read a property file, property file will be containing count of the csv files, and in a folder(same folder) there will be respective csv files. like Property file data1=100... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing 2 files and creating third file with uncommon content

I want to compare 2 files and create third file with uncommon content. e.g. file1 ajay suhas tom nisha vijay mahish file2 ajay suhas tom nisha expected output file content vijay mahish Is it possible in single command ? Thanks, Ajay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two files for matching fields

I am newbie to unix and would please like some help to solve the task below I have two files, file_a.text and file_b.text that I want to evaluate. file_a.text 1698.74 1711.88 6576.25 899.41 3205.63 4187.98 697.35 1551.83 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameli
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 difference csv files

Hello, I have about 10 csv files which range from csv1 - csv10. Each csv file has same type/set of tabs and we have around 5-6 tabs for each of the csv file which have slightly different content(data). A sample of CSV1 is shown below: Joins: Data related to Joins, it can be any number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 CSV files and sending the difference to a new csv file

(say) I have 2 csv files - file1.csv & file2.csv as mentioned below: file1.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,40 3000,3,50 4000,4,60 file2.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,45 3000,4,55 6000,5,70 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naresh101
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two CSV files

I have two csv files and im trying to compare them. e.g. SAMPLE DATA: file one: ZipCode Name 20878 Washington 10023 Missouri 20304 Maryland file two: ID Name City ZipCode 11654 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dan139
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files by two matching fields

Long time listener first time poster. Hope someone can advise. I have two files, 1000+ lines in each, two fields in each file. After performing a sort, what is the best way to find exact matches where field $1 and $2 in file1 are also present in file2 on the same line, then output only those... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstaff
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and list the difference with common first line content of both files

I have two file as given below which shows the ACL permissions of each file. I need to compare the source file with target file and list down the difference as specified below in required output. Can someone help me on this ? Source File ************* # file: /local/test_1 # owner: own #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
4 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-an] [-e s] [-o list] [-tc] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1). BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)