Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to walk through a config file with /bin/sh Post 302347744 by zaxxon on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 10:01:05 AM
Old 08-26-2009
So if I understood it correct, you have problems with the substitution in the file.
If you have no problem to set up the while/read loop to get the wanted input, you can use the values stored in variables with for example sed to exchange the current values in the config file with the new ones.
Here a general example how substitute patterns:

Code:
# you got VAR filled with a value by your former read/while loop of course
sed "s/oldvalue/${VAR}/g"

Do this for several of your patterns and write it to a tmp file and maybe mv it over the original. Could take a backup before doing it.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory when doing crontab

I just set up an ftp server with Red Hat 5.2. I am doing the work, I'm baby stepping, but it seems like every step I get stuck. Currently, I'm trying to set up a crontab job, but I'm getting the following message: /bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory. I see that vi exists in /bin/vi,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalter
3 Replies

2. Programming

ftw/nftw -- filesystem tree walk

Hi, I recently experimented with ftw() and nftw(). These are function for calling some function for every file in a subtree. I need to get full information about type of file. Almost everything is working according to documentation but I noticed following problem: With a value FTW_PHYS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: odys
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing config file to create new config files

Hi, I want to use a config file as the base file and parse over the values of country and city parameters in the config file and generate separate config files as explained below. I will be using the config file as mentioned below: (config.txt) country:a,b city:1,2 type:b1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clazzic
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs 1)actual config file 2)report

Hi I am new to shell scripting. There is a requirement to write a shell script to meet follwing needs.Prompt reply shall be highly appreciated. script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs - actual config file and a report indicating changes made. OS :Susi linux ver 10.3. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
4 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

SNMP Walk need to enable

We are using a third party to monitor unix servers performance since last 60 days, since last 3 days we are not able to get the performance alarms on our tool. When we check the same with the tool team, they said "SNMP walk is not happening for all the servers." Performance we mean... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: marunmeera
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies
gphoto2-config(1)						   User Commands						 gphoto2-config(1)

NAME
gphoto2-config - return meta information about installed version of libgphoto2(3). SYNOPSIS
gphoto2-config [--prefix=DIR] [--libs] [--cflags] [--help] [--version] DESCRIPTION
gphoto2-config is a convenience script which retrieves information about the installed version of libgphoto2(3) on your system. gphoto2-config is typically used to compile and link against libgphoto2(3). The following example shows how to use gphoto2-config in a Makefile: program: program.c cc program.c `gphoto2-config --cflags --libs` The output is similar to that produced by pkg-config(1). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --cflags Prints pre-processor and compile flags required to compile with libgphoto2(3) on the command line. --help Displays help and usage information. --libs Identical to --cflags option but only prints the link flags. --prefix=DIR Specify a different prefix from the default libgphoto2(3). (default is/usr). --version Displays version of libgphoto2(3) installed on your system. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gphoto2-config Executable for installed library helper script ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-camera-devel | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5), pkg-config(1), libgphoto2(3) NOTES
Written by Matt Keenan Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 01 Aug 2008 gphoto2-config(1)