Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Clone scsi disc solaris 8
Operating Systems Solaris Clone scsi disc solaris 8 Post 302347727 by dennysv on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 09:30:39 AM
Old 08-26-2009
Assuming both disks are same size, replicate partition table using prtvtoc and fmthard
Code:
prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/cXdXd0s2  | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/cXtXd0s2

This will create same disk partition on second disk.
My choice would be to use ufsdump. If you plan to boot from second disk, install boot loader on second disk using installboot command.
Code:
installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk  /dev/rdsk/cXtXd0s0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCSI Card in Solaris 8

HI, I am trying to install Symbios SCSI PCI adapter in Ultra10 but unable to configure it. Getting following errors genunix: NOTICE: glm0: fault detected in device; service still unavailable genunix: NOTICE: glm0: Symbios PCI device (1000,3) not supported. Anyone has an idea, how to resolve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
1 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How do I clone Solaris 7 disk

could anyone give me a general idea of how i may clone a 2 Gig disk running Solaris 7 on it to another disk of the same size? currently, this system only has one disk in it though. i do have the ability to hook up another disk via SCSI. i have been told i need to boot to "miniroot" to run... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: obosha
9 Replies

3. Solaris

clone solaris

I have a Sun Solaris 9 and I would like to clone the Operating System from a sun4u Sun Fire 480R machine to a Sun Fire 280R machine. The disk is the same size, the 480R has no space disk slot to the 280R disk for mirrioring, i have no external disk, I am not allowed to take the machine down. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hassan1
1 Replies

4. Solaris

disc clone - using Ufsdump / ufsretore

I am attempting to clone the hard drive of an old (and delicate) SUN Sparc 5 Station using Solaris 7 operating system, an Informix Database and application software. I have successfully copied all six partitions using Ufsdump to DAT tape. However, when I attempt to restore the system using the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAILWAY
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Ultra 10 - Copying Files From Disc After Booting Up With Recovery Disc?

Hello, I'm still learning unix and I have what is probably a simple question but I can't seem to find the question to. I have an Ultra 10 Sparc Server running solaris 8 and the drive may have crashed (I hope not). Currently, it appears some files in the /etc folder are missing. I have a backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ideffects
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 8 Clone - Help

I've got two drives in the same Sun server and I've been cloning the boot drive to the secondary drive by using both ufsdump/ufsrestore and the dd command sucessfully. When I try and boot the cloned drive I get the following error: WARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found. Most likely the mount... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnj1965
10 Replies

7. Solaris

Backup / Clone Solaris Zone Issue

Hi, I'd like to discuss the subject of backing up / cloning Solaris zone. I was trying to clone zone A to zone B (Solaris 10 11/06: Cloning a Non-Global Zone on the Same System (System Administration Guide: Oracle Solaris Containers-Resource Management and Oracle Solaris Zones)). The first test... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 11 - how to backup and restore system disc

I have installed Solaris 11 Express on my machine and now I am wondering what is the best way to backup (to another hard disc) and restore the system hard disc content. The backup should to be done every night using a script launched by cron and all previously done backups should be available to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RychnD
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Newly relabelled disc unable to initialize to Solaris 8 login - please help

We are having a problem with initializing Solaris 8 installed on a Sunblade 1500 after having cloned the hard disc. (The cloning process was done in a windows environment. Not a UNIX environment.) Immediately after the cloning process neither hard disc would boot until the format label... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: DR_RALT
10 Replies

10. Solaris

Need to Clone Solaris OS to another disk

Hi, I am trying to clone the hard disk image of Solaris OS on one disk to another disk. After some googling I found that there is a command "dd" to achieve this. However there is a condition to use the dd command, that the disk geometry of both the disks (source and target disks) should... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajujayanthy
5 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)