Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: argument count
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting argument count Post 302347356 by KenJackson on Tuesday 25th of August 2009 12:38:38 PM
Old 08-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by javajynx
lol well my next question was how do I determine input is digits or not?
I tried the if echo $1 | grep -qv '[^0-9-]'
but it doesn't appear to accept it as false if I enter a name ie enter 12345678 and it does the number part enter bob and it says invalid number.
Try this from the command line:
Code:
echo 1234 | grep -qv '[^0-9-]'  &&  echo RIGHT
echo 12A34 | grep -qv '[^0-9-]'  &&  echo WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by javajynx
Also after I get that figured out how do I get the line from the document that contains the name or number ie entered "bob jones" and it was found in the document. It needs to echo that result
ie Bob Jones 12345567
is there a grep option that returns the line itself?
What's the format of your file? Maybe something as simple as this:
Code:
grep "$NAME" file.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the last argument in a argument line?

How to find the last argument in a argument line? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad argument count, tryig to FTP

I have a file in a Unix directory called 97210900.EFT I am getting this error: miis_ftp.ELM_EFT.shl: cd: bad argument count + + type=1 + ErrorHandle Here is the piece of code that is checking the file # Change the directory to one contains the file to be transported ##cd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rechever
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

count identical strings print last row and count

I have a sorted file like: Apple 3 Apple 5 Apple 8 Banana 2 Banana 3 Grape 31 Orange 7 Orange 13 I'd like to search $1 and if $1 is not the same as $1 in the previous row print that row and print the number of times $1 was found. so the output would look like: Apple 8 3 Banana... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“

If ($argv == “-debug”) then Echo “in loop” Endif But this is not working. If I modify this code and remove “-“, then it works. Similarly I am getting problem using grep command also Grep “-debug” Filename Can someone please help me on how to resolve these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make script that run with argument if not run from configuration file argument

Hello, Is there any method thorugh which script can take argument if pass otherwise if argument doesn't pass then it takes the argument from the configuration file i.e I am workiing on a script which will run through crontab and the script will chekout the code ,zip and copy to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill: bad argument count

Hi Team, I am getting the below error when running the script. Please let me know how to solve this error. start_WFA.sh: kill: bad argument count Below is the Script: #!/bin/ksh kill -9 `ps -ef|grep classpath |grep "/apps/ap" |grep -v "Xmx" |grep $LOGNAME |awk '{print $2}'` Thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mukharam Khan
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 header count with file2 line count

What I'm trying to accomplish. I receive a Header and Detail file for daily processing. The detail file comes first which holds data, the header is a receipt of the detail file and has the detail files record count. Before processing the detail file I would like to put a wrapper around another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pone2332
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find the count of IP addresses that belong to different subnets and display the count?

Hi, I have a file with a list of bunch of IP addresses from different VLAN's . I am trying to find the list the number of each vlan occurence in the output Here is how my file looks like 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 1.1.1.3 1.1.2.1 1.1.2.2 1.1.3.1 1.1.3.2 1.1.3.3 1.1.3.4 So what I am trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2prog
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)