Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: loops with tr
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers loops with tr Post 302346948 by juliette salexa on Monday 24th of August 2009 12:57:59 PM
Old 08-24-2009
Thank you very much chipcmc!

This worked perfectly once I removed the quotations around a* in your code,
Having the quotes there gave me error messages, maybe I have a different version of UNIX than you.

But nonetheless, your idea got the job done!
THanks so much Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops?

hello....very new user to unix...and i have a question..i am not sure if there is such a thing For example...the user is asked if he likes Bananas....if he says yes.... echo You like Bananas $name at the end of the script it echos all that the user has entered so they can read it.... but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonas27
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops within loops

I am running on HPUX using ksh. I have a script that uses a loop within a loop, for some reason the script seems to hang on a particuliar record. The record is fine and hits the condition in Blue. If I kill the 1st loop process the script continues on with no problem. Begin code> <Some... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bthomas
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While Loops

I'm trying to create a loop that will prompt the user for 15 values, not forcing them to enter all 15. If the user enters through one or more of the prompts the null value needs to be converted to 0, otherwise set the parameter = to the value entered: ex. Please enter file no #1: 17920 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdc
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

two loops

Hi, how can I use "for" to have two loops : this is my script : for i in (A B C) do for j in (a b c) do echo $i$j done done #End I want to print out Aa Ab Ac .... But I have error message : syntax error at line 1 : `(' unexpected Many thanks before. How should I use "for" ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loops

Hi I've a file like so: Now, I want to read my file and take ex. the Media ID and the Type for each groups of Media (Media1,Media2,...,Media(n): cat /tmp/file|\ while read FILE do while $(FILE|cut -d: -f1)=Media$i do #here will be some test, ex: #if Media ID < 23 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with While Loops

I am traversing down a list, and I am not quite sure how to tell the loop to break when it's done going through the file. #!/bin/sh while : do read list <&3 echo $list done is the code. The file "list" is simply 5 4 3 2 1 any advice on how to break the loop after the file is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with the 2 for loops

#!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n' A= a c b t g j i e d B= t y u i o p counter=0 found="" for i in $(cat $A) do for j in $(cat $B) do if then found="yes" fi done if then (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vadharah
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops

Hi All, I want to execute a script the number of times a user enters. Please can you advise on hor can I do the same. Many Thanks, Shazin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with loops?

I'm trying to understand better the while and until loops, can someone help me with this example? #!/bin/bash # Listing the planets. for planet in Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto do echo $planet # Each planet on a separate line. done echo; echo for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jose2802
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with for loops

Why wont my for statements work? Im trying to get this script to swich to a user an if you put in a start/stop/or restart paramater to do just that for each user. I commented out the actual start/stop actions to test it just by using echos and not do anything hasty in the environment but it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LilyClaro
0 Replies
ECACCESS-JOB-LIST(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     ECACCESS-JOB-LIST(1p)

NAME
ecaccess-job-list - List all ECaccess Jobs SYNOPSIS
ecaccess-job-list -version|-help|-manual ecaccess-job-list [-debug] [job-id] DESCRIPTION
List all your ECaccess Jobs. When a job-id is specified then the details for this job are displayed. The Job statuses can have the following values: INIT Jobs are being initialised STDBY Jobs are waiting for an event EXEC Jobs are running WAIT Jobs have been queued to the scheduler (e.g. LoadLeveler) RETR Jobs will be resubmitted STOP Jobs have NOT completed (error) DONE Jobs have successfully completed ARGUMENTS
job-id (optional) The identifier of the ECaccess Job to retrieve the details. OPTIONS
-version Display version number and exits. -help Print a brief help message and exits. -manual Prints the manual page and exits. -debug Display the SOAP messages exchanged. EXAMPLES
ecaccess-job-list 124356 Give the informations concerning the ECaccess Job with identifier 124356. ecaccess-job-list List all your ECaccess Jobs in the spool. SEE ALSO
ecaccess-queue-list, ecaccess-job-delete, ecaccess-job-get, ecaccess-job-restart, ecaccess-job-submit and ecaccess. perl v5.14.2 2012-04-16 ECACCESS-JOB-LIST(1p)