Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to append a value seperated by comma Post 302346903 by Tuxidow on Tuesday 25th of August 2009 02:46:59 AM
Old 08-25-2009
thanks a lot for the reply!!

i want this to add only for "hello".. how to do that...? not generic..!! can anybody please help me to understand the above code too??

---------- Post updated at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:47 AM ----------

myfile
Code:
hru:122:
hello:123:john,philip,mary,kp,moss
hi:124:
bye:125:
tata:125:pipe,grep

How to modify the above script just to add the new value only to "hello" not for tata. Script should be some what like, search for hello and add the new value there. Each new values to be separated by a comma.. Sorry for not being so clear in my first post

So if the new value i have is foo, the modified file should be like this..

Code:
hello:123:john,philip,mary,kp,moss,foo
tata:125:pipe,grep

I modified the script like this..

Code:
awk -v val='foo' '!/:$/ {$0=$0 "," val}1' myfile > myfilenew
cat myfilenew > myfile
rm -rf myfilenew

bu the output im getting is like the following...

the new myfile
Code:
hello:123:john,philip,mary,kp,moss,foo
tata:125:pipe,grep,foo

It would be a great help if some one can help me in this.

Last edited by Tuxidow; 08-25-2009 at 03:46 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling .CSV( Comma seperated value) in awk

Hi Guys, I am trying to reading in comma seperated values in awk. I can set the delimiter to be a comma, but the tricky part is that commas that appear within quotes are not to be considered as delimiters. Could someone please help. Regards, Laud (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Laud12345
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comma Seperated List of Values

Hi, I have a comma seperated list of values: export list="red,blue,white,yellow" Given a value in a variable "look", i want to check whether the value is available in the above list. But the result should be based on exact string match and not part of the string. I am using following... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: brap45
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change list to comma seperated items

I have a list of servers in a file called serverlist like this server1 server2 server3 i need to have them (with no trailing comma, the program does not like that) server1,server2,server3 so far i have been using HOSTS=/tmp/serverlist HOSTS=${HOSTS:-$(grep -Ev "^#|^$"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and then concat 4m other file (comma seperated)

My query is now a bit simplified. file1.txt names; ID; value1 ; values N; ABC; 1 ; a18 ; ... CDF; 2 ; b16 ; .. ABC; 1 ; c13 ; ...... EFG; 3 ;d12 ; ... file2.txt ID(Unique);smVals; smVal1; smVal N; 1; ...; ...; ...; 2; ..; ..; ..; 3; ..; ..; ..; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: szchmaltz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated file.

Hi, I want to remove empty/blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated files Thanks all for help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl help for comma seperated output

Hi, how can i make a comma seperated output summary. i attached the sample log file. I have to capture these data in the log file. Arcotid Time Stamp, Username, Success, Failure, Error Code, Error Message In the log snippet the userID can be found in- Code Arcot Native Server:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Comma seperated arguments

Hi How to takes coma seperated arguments and and parsing each argument to varaiable that has used further in the script. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert comma seperated file to line seperated.

Hi, I have data like this. 1,2,3,4 Output required: 1 2 3 4 I am trying to use tr function but getting error. Help is appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help in rearranging the content of a file comma seperated

I have a file with the below content a = test1 b = test2 a = test3 b= test4 c = test6 b = test5 d = test7 d = test9 Need the output to be as follows a = test1,test3 b = test2, test5 c = test6 d = test7, test9 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iron_michael86
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk comma seperated value within double quote

Hi, I have a data file separated by comma, data enclosed by "" head file.txt "HD","Sep 13 2016 1:05AM","0001" "DT","273093045","192534" "DT","273097637","192534" .. I want to get the 3rd column value (0001) to be assigned to my variable I tried FILE_VER=`cat file.txt | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prasannag87
2 Replies
NWGETCONNLISTFROMOBJECT(3NCP)											     NWGETCONNLISTFROMOBJECT(3NCP)

NAME
NWGetConnListFromObject - Retrieve connection list of specified object SYNOPSIS
#include <nwcalls.h> NWCCODE NWGetConnListFromObject(NWCONN_HANDLE conn, nuint32 objID, NWCONN_NUM firstConn, size_t* noOfReturnedConns, NWCONN_NUM* connList); DESCRIPTION
This function retrieves connection list of specified object from server. conn conn contains connection handle obtained from ncp_open(3ncp) or NWParsePath(3ncp). objID objID contains server specific object ID. For bindery, it is object ID, for NDS objects it is local entry number. firstConn firstConn specifies, from which connection start search. Use 0 on first call and highest returned value on subsequent. noOfReturnedConns noOfReturnedConns contains number of returned connections. It may be NULL, there is no reason for pass NULL into this function. At most 125 connections are returned at once. connList connList is array for returned connection numbers. It may be NULL, in this case, only noOfReturnedConns is returned. connList array must be able to hold 125 entries. RETURN VALUE
Function returns zero on success and non-zero on failure. If specified object does not exist, success is returned and noOfReturnedConns is set to zero. If noOfReturnedConns is 125, it is possible that list is incomplete and NWGetConnListFromObject should be invoked again for another set of connections. See nwerrors(3ncp) for complete list of error codes. BUGS
None known. SEE ALSO
nwerrors(3ncp), NWGetObjectConnectionNumbers(3ncp) libncp (>;= 2.2.0.14) 04/13/1999 NWGETCONNLISTFROMOBJECT(3NCP)