Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell scripting best practices - trap command Post 302346852 by pludi on Monday 24th of August 2009 08:07:15 AM
Old 08-24-2009
There are 2 signals that I trap in almost every script: SIGUSR1 and 0. I use SIGUSR1 in long-running scripts to print a short status message instead of constantly cluttering the screen, an 0 (a shell-builtin signal meaning EOF) to collect all clean-up stuff in one function, instead of having to worry about it at every possible exit.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell scripting my own diff command

Hi I would like to run the diff command and recieve a little different output. I am on a linux machine. I am pretty new to shell scripting. So far my idea has shaped up to this, unworking, script. I would like file1: and file2: instead of the usual > or < output you recieve, diff | sed -e ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axcxe
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting Best Practices

Hi - I am new to this and was wondering if some of you can help me out. I am just starting to write scripts and need some guidelines on creating scripts. I'm calling them "Best Practices"...what should I do and not do when creating scripts. All I know so far is that I should avoid putting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: toddjameslane
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Best Practices

I am new to ksh scripts (still reading manuals). I need to write an application that reads a multi-line parameter file, builds sql on-the-fly, runs plsql and saves the output in a specific format for further processing. I am looking for anything on Best Practices for building such an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtravis
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to use trap command in shell script

Right now I have implemented autossh between ServerA & ServerB which are sun solaris based. I have made this shell script. I am facing one problem which I am going to discuss now. The problem is when I sftp some files (suppose there is 10 files I have to transfer through sftp) from one server to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cntl+z Trap is not detecting ??? Help required to add a trap detection ???

Hi folks, I have tried to add some trap detection in the below script....this script is used to monitor database activities...in a rather awkward way :rolleyes:.... The idea behind adding trap is that....this script creates lots of temporary files in the running folder to store the count... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

recommend book for unix command/ shell scripting

Hi, i wish to learn unix commands and shell scripting. platform is solaris. but i am focused more on handy unix commands than system administration. which books do you recommend? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nurulamin862
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare a command line parameter with -- in shell scripting

Hi, I need to check if a parameter provided at the command line is equal to --.How can i do that ? Please help me. Thanks and Regards, Padmini (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how trap the signals in shell scripting

Hi all, I have the c program that c program has to be in sleep mode. I want write a script the it should trap the signal from the c program. The signals are sighup,sigkill,sigterm,sigchld and then it has to go to sleep. If signal is sigchld it has to do to some function. My question is how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If else condition inside for loop of awk command in UNIX shell scripting

Hi , Please excuse me for opening a new thread i am unable to find out the syntax error in my if else condition inside for loop in awk command , my actual aim is to print formatted html td tag when if condition (True) having string as "failed", could anyone please advise what is the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell Scripting to display a output from a command

Please find my below requirement and see if you can help me on this. I am looking for a shell script which can provide me the below output. Manuall steps which i am doing now 1) First I source the File $ . ./WC_env.sh 2) Execute the command $ /app/oracle/product/mos/bin/mosotl -url... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudheshpn@gmail
2 Replies
trap(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)