Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Monitoring Crontabs
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Monitoring Crontabs Post 302346678 by Smiling Dragon on Sunday 23rd of August 2009 08:25:51 PM
Old 08-23-2009
At this stage, it's still a relatively small environment so cron still sounds viable. But if you have a task running every minute, consider the implications if it starts hanging, you'd blow out cron's lmit on concurrent jobs in just under two hours and all cron jobs would stop.

Might I suggest just having a while - do - sleep60 loop instead? You can use cron to watchdog that script if required too Smilie

But if you are going to want to scale this up at any point, I'd recommend moving away from cron altogether and going to something like control-m or one of the other fine centralised automation tools and save yourself a costly migration later on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Monitoring

Hi Can any one helpe me in obtaining commands , which enables me to know the following : Monitor Storage Monitor RAM & CPU Utilization Monitor Power Supply Best wishes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

2. Solaris

monitoring cpu

I have a windows snmp server running prtg. I have a solaris 8 v440R server and only see the network statistics for the server. When I try to add a new service to watch for the CPU, I am not offered the results. There is the default sun.mib installed. SNMPDX is not running but mibiisa is. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csross
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Jobs scheduled in crontabs are not running after a migration to oracle 9i

Good Morning. The problem started after tha migration to a newer version of oracle - migration to oracle 9i. Before the migration jobs that were scheduled in crontabs were running ok. but after the migration they are not running. I understand that is not easy to find out what the problem is.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Monitoring tools

Hi, In HPUX there is a grate monitor tools named GLANCE, which give you information on the disks load, memory usage, cpu ... What is the equivalent tool in LINUX Redhat 4. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Monitoring Script

Hi, I want to write a script that will monitor cpu,mem usage and disk usage for entire day and data will be redirected to file, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontabs entry not working

Hi, I have a crontab entry like the one shown below. My aim is to run the script from 06.10pm to 06.10am. But it seems not working. 10 18-06 * * * /usr/local/proj/cgi-bin/printmsg.pl 1>> /usr/local/proj/cgi-bin/printmsg.pl 2>> /usr/local/proj/cronlogs/printmsg.log Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP monitoring

Hello there, I have the following situation : I have a ftp server (PureFTPd)on which users can connect and put their files. The thing is I need to synchronize the files uploaded by the users to another server (so that everybody can download (via http) from that server the resources uploaded by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: spiriad
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Crontabs

I have a crontab job in my sun solaris server and basically i have a unix script in 3 different parts 1 part will do an auto ftp from a server 2 part will have some grep and awk related commands and generate certain files 3 part the files that are generated above will be auto ftpied again... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Network Monitoring

My Office Hours between 10 A.M to 5 P.M .I am managing 16 client PCs which is remotely placed. I want to know the network status of every client PCs.I need an automatic trigger mail ,when the network connection is lost in any one of the Client PCs during office hours.I am a self study learner.I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
9 Replies

10. HP-UX

HP -UX 11.31 monitoring

Hi, i have joined newly as a hp-ux admin... previously worked in linux environment can anyone tell me how to monitor memory and cpu utilization in hpux?? hp-ux is not as flexible as linux as i understand... please help me out by giving the commands needed and way of troubleshooting if the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prasad@hp-ux
12 Replies
queuedefs(4)                                                       File Formats                                                       queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)