Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: compare logfile content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting compare logfile content Post 302346493 by latenite on Saturday 22nd of August 2009 11:31:09 AM
Old 08-22-2009
compare logfile content

Hi folks

I have some logfiles like this:

./2009_08_22_14_08_entire_backup_no_1.log
./2009_08_22_14_34_entire_backup_no_14.log

each one contains a timestamp from "date +'%s'"

now i need function which finds the logfile with the greatest number in it and returns (echos) the filename.

how can this be done?

I know this is not it..but a start..

Code:
function find_most_recent_entire_backup(){
    # read the logfile of the most recent entire_backup and 
    for f in `find ./ -type f -regex ".*entire.*.log" `; do
        timestamp=`grep [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0] $f`
        echo $timestamp
    done
}

thank you already

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the content of 2 files

Hi Guys, What is the most effecient way to compare the content of 2 seperate files and extract the result of there is a match? We have 2 separate log files and we are trying to find the common errors from the 2 files. Thanks, Odogbolu98 :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare the content of a variable with a string

Hello all: I'm new in Unix and here and I'am spanish so my english isn't so good to explain my doubt. Here it is. Very urgent: I need to compare the value of a variable with a string. Example is this. Imagine that the variable x1 contains the path and a file text and I need to compare... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robdai
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare latest logfile with the current running time of the script

how can i compare the latest log file with the current time.. consider i am running a script "a.sh" at 09:00 ( function of the script a.sh is to update the database ) this script is going to create logfile if the script is sucess in case of failure it is not going to create logfile.. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Compare and search content in directory

Hello, How to search in directory by comparing some string with the content of directory. Ex: I want to compare abhi string with the content of backup directory. i.e want to check that is there any file in backup directory having name ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhijitIT
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare a content of variable to a database column

Hi have an array like this colarray="a" colarray="b" colarray="c" colarray="d" colarray="e" colarray="f" the arrayvariable is in unix sh file i want to check the content of the array to oracle database table. that is whether "a" is present in the table. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barani75
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 files and show count same content.

$ cat File1 Non HTTP response code:java.net.ConnectException225073X 000000005143329Load time: 402335410224 Non HTTP response code: ava.net.ConnectException206423X 000000005143330Load time: 402305687161 Non HTTP response code: ava.net.ConnectException290212X 000000005143331Load time:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To compare the content of two text files

I have two files, sec.txt(1st File) 3172 disp.txt(2nd file) the file name is *********** 45676 Now i want to compare the value in sec.txt file with disp.txt file Excatly i want to compare the value 3172 in first file and 45676 in second file. i want to compare the first line of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammm
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare content between two files

I have two files in unix environment with similer type of contain: Example: File1 File2 Milestone1 Milestone1 Milestone2 Milestone12 Milestone3 Milestone13... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mrinal Mondal
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: how compare content of a file with an other array

Hi, I created a skript in ksh which generate a file with semicolon as separator, this is an example of the file a created: example content file: hello;AAAA;2014-08-17 hello;BBBB;2014-08-17 hello;CCCC;2014-08-17 I would need to compare the content in of the second column of this file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmartin
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two folders and file content

Hi, I am having two folders where i need to compare the content of files and also to know if any new files been added and redirect the difference output in respective filename logs. For e.g.: Directory D1: f1 f2 f3 Directory D2: f1 f2 f3 f4 i Need to compare the directories... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
25 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.42.9 December 2013 LOGSAVE(8)