Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to reduce the length of records in a file? Post 302346467 by malcomex999 on Saturday 22nd of August 2009 06:13:56 AM
Old 08-22-2009
Try...

Code:

awk '{$0=substr($0,1,300);print $0}' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed Length records- Korne Shell Program.

Hi, I need some help regarding in writing a Korne shell script, in determining the fixed length records in a data file. We have already utility in place, which does this work. The Code for this is as below. In the below $1 is the parameter passed to the script, which is the data file name. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrajesh_2009
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to search variable length records

New to awk and need some help. I have a script that I would like to make more compact. I want to read a file and grab every field, from every record, except the last field. The records are variable length and have varying number of fields. A record will have at least two fields, but can have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: synergy_texas
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to reduce a length in a file?

i want to reduce a length in the file called text in the file im having 10 byte length. want to reduce it to 9 byte length for all lines. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to extract incorrect fixed length records

I have a number of unix text files containing fixed-length records (normal unix linefeed terminator) where I need to find odd records which are an incorrect length. The data is not validated and records can contain odd backslash characters and control characters which makes them awkward to process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: methyl
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix sort for fixed length columns and records

I was trying to use the AIX 6.1 sort command to sort fixed-length data records, sorting by specific columns only. It took some time to figure out how to get it to work, so I wanted to share the solution. The sort man page wasn't much help, because it talks about field delimeters (default space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CheeseHead1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To reduce the bash script length!!!

Hi friends, at last i finish my script to find the status of the URL , in this code i used all the status codes, because of this it take too much of length. with the help of wiki only i find all the status codes. Status codes in HTTP #!/bin/bash timevar=`date +%d-%m-%Y_%H.%M.%S` #--... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the records with a specified length

I have a sample txt file which has different variable lengths of 2,10,3,15. What is the command that I need use in order to get the record count that has length '3' Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file-make field length equal to header length

Hello Everyone, I am stuck with one issue while working on abstract flat file which i have to use as input and load data to table. Input Data- ------ ------------------------ ---- ----------------- WFI001 Xxxxxx Control Work Item A Number of Records ------ ------------------------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali.s.more
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read File and check records for length

I need a script that will run in unix to: 1) Read and input file with 1 column that contains for ex: 0123456789 1234567890 ...etc 2) Checks the first column if it is: a. Numeric from 0 - 9 b. if it is not less... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)