Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to open a specific port
Operating Systems Solaris how to open a specific port Post 302346428 by naw_deepak on Saturday 22nd of August 2009 12:46:41 AM
Old 08-22-2009
Yes, I agree.
When any service is enabled, the service starts listening on it's specified port untill there is no firewall turned on. But when the firewall is turned on, how to open a port of any service so that the request regarding that could be listen.

Thanks,
Deepak

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

open port

How can I open a port on linux machine ??? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mm00123
5 Replies

2. AIX

How to open a port in AIX

Hi Guys, i am trying to open a port in AIX. but i am not able to get the command for this. AIX is not having the iptables file present. So please any body can tell me how to open a port in AIX... Thanks sanju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanju_d1231
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Unknown open port: "6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker" found with nmap

Hi. I ran nmap on my server, and I get the following: Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-19 16:33 EDT Interesting ports on -------- (-----): Not shown: 997 closed ports PORT STATE SERVICE 22/tcp open ssh 80/tcp open http 6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rledley
0 Replies

4. Solaris

how to open specific port

Dear members, My release is open Solaris b103 1- How to know the opening port in my system 2- How to open a specific port like port number 53 3- How to closed the specific port like port number 53 Your feedback highly appreciated (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellroxy
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Open port on Solaris 10

Hi All, I am installing Infosphere (ETL tool) on solaris 10. One of the requirement is to open multiple ports for different apps that will be installed. I ran netstat -n | grep 9080 (,etc) but that did not return anything. I have attached the requirement. Can anyone guide me about how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to open port in linux

hi experts, I'm using Linux Centos kernel 2.6 Here is the print out of some my port : tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:10080 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:10081 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

Tcp ip port open but no such process (merged: Release A Port)

i want to kill a tcp connection by killing its pid with netstat -an i got the tcp ip connection on port 5914 but when i type ps -a or ps-e there is not such process running on port 5914 is it possible that because i do not log on with proper user account i can not see that process running? (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinamadchian
30 Replies

8. HP-UX

How to open 443 port in HP-UX?

Hello Experts, I want to open the port 443 on my HP-UX system. can you please help ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10: How to just open a port - nothing else

Hi there, I tried just open a port but I failed ;-( # telnet localhost 9876 That should work so I did ... # vi /etc/services myport 9876/tcp # my port # svcadm restart inetd -> New pid, see ps - ef | grep inet # netstat -an | grep 9876 No port 9876 is waiting ;( #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: System
4 Replies
IO(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     IO(4)

NAME
io -- I/O privilege file SYNOPSIS
device io #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ioctl.h> #include <dev/io/iodev.h> #include <machine/iodev.h> struct iodev_pio_req { u_int access; u_int port; u_int width; u_int val; }; DESCRIPTION
The special file /dev/io is a controlled security hole that allows a process to gain I/O privileges (which are normally reserved for kernel- internal code). This can be useful in order to write userland programs that handle some hardware directly. The usual operations on the device are to open it via the open(2) interface and to send I/O requests to the file descriptor using the ioctl(2) syscall. The ioctl(2) requests available for /dev/io are mostly platform dependent, but there are also some in common between all of them. The IODEV_PIO is used by all the architectures in order to request that an I/O operation be performed. It takes a 'struct iodev_pio_req' argu- ment that must be previously setup. The access member specifies the type of operation requested. It may be: IODEV_PIO_READ The operation is an "in" type. A value will be read from the specified port (retrieved from the port member) and the result will be stored in the val member. IODEV_PIO_WRITE The operation is a "out" type. The value will be fetched from the val member and will be written out to the specified port (defined as the port member). Finally, the width member specifies the size of the operand to be read/written, expressed in bytes. In addition to any file access permissions on /dev/io, the kernel enforces that only the super-user may open this device. LEGACY
The /dev/io interface used to be very i386 specific and worked differently. The initial implementation simply raised the IOPL of the current thread when open(2) was called on the device. This behaviour is retained in the current implementation as legacy support for both i386 and amd64 architectures. SEE ALSO
close(2), i386_get_ioperm(2), i386_set_ioperm(2), ioctl(2), open(2), mem(4) HISTORY
The io file appeared in FreeBSD 1.0. BSD
June 1, 2010 BSD