Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Selecting Lines on text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Selecting Lines on text file Post 302346244 by oconmx on Friday 21st of August 2009 10:09:51 AM
Old 08-21-2009
Thank you Danmero,

The problem is that I dont understand your code very well, I haven't been able to use change the lines on the fly, before they are sent to the file.

I will keep trying. Thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with selecting specific lines in a large file

Hello, I need to select the 3 lines above as well as below a search string, including the search string. I have been trying various combinations using sed command without any success. Can anuone help please. Thanking (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tansha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

about selecting lines

Hello , i got text file like that' C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\aa.jpg C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\thumb.jpg C:\Users\Public\Pictures\vv\cc.jpg C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\ee.jpg C:\Users\Public\aa\Sample Pictures\cvswsr.jpg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lines with sed

Hi all, I have a file with special characters like this file1 691775025 ýÄqJ8^Z^Y{ 2004-08-23E P 100.00 45585025 0527541139295037342008-07-25OEP 100.00 6983025 ýB<9D>x<^F^Xb 2004-11-16SPP 100.00 I need a sed command to print the lines which don't have special characters.ie., only line 2... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: allinshell
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting a range of Lines

Hi All, Is there a way to get a range of lines from a file??? I want to search through a set of scripts and need to select the group of lines which do the FTP. Say, Line1 Line2 ftp SERVER user UNAME PASS send FILE_TO_BE_SENT close Line3 Line4 Line5 ftp SERVER1 user USER1 PASS1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beinthemiddle
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lines of a file

Say I wanted to select the 5th line of a file without knowing the context of the file. Would I use grep and pipe it into wc or is there a more simple way of doing this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting lines using awk

I have a file which contains five hundred thousand lines (500,000). I want to select lines of every 1000 lines from that file using AWK. I can think something like this in bash as below: for lines in {0..500000..1000} do ........ ........ done But I want to use AWK. I do not know how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjramana
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk for selecting lines in a file avoiding repetition

Hello, I am using Awk in UBUNTU 12.04. I have a file as following with 48,432,354 lines and 4 fields. The file has this structure (There are repetitions of the first column in several lines) AB_14 S54 A G AB_14 S55 A A AB_14 S56 G G GO_15 S45 T A GO_15 S46 A A PT_16 S33 C C PT_16 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting text on multiple lines, then removing a beginning and end patterns

I have a file similar to the below. I am selecting only the paragraphs with @inlineifset. I am using the following command sed '/@inlineifset/,/^ *$/!d; s/@inlineifset{mrg, @btpar{@//' $flnm >> $ofln This produces @section Correlations between seismograms,,,,}} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danette
5 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)