Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Selecting Lines on text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Selecting Lines on text file Post 302345936 by danmero on Thursday 20th of August 2009 03:17:03 PM
Old 08-20-2009
To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.
  1. Use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code.
    You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)
  2. Avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts.
    Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.
  3. Be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconmx
to remove unwanted types...
now, on my previous script I was converting the [Timestamp] to date and adding ";" as separator piping awk...:
Is there any easy way to remove the [] from the timestamp, convert it to time and change the , to ; .... as you can see I am not that good at awk; so any advise is highly appreciated, to avoid piping commands.
Look like you are walking backward.
First you generate a file and now you try to fixit. Maybe you should generate the original file the way you like it from the beginning?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with selecting specific lines in a large file

Hello, I need to select the 3 lines above as well as below a search string, including the search string. I have been trying various combinations using sed command without any success. Can anuone help please. Thanking (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tansha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

about selecting lines

Hello , i got text file like that' C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\aa.jpg C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\thumb.jpg C:\Users\Public\Pictures\vv\cc.jpg C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\ee.jpg C:\Users\Public\aa\Sample Pictures\cvswsr.jpg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lines with sed

Hi all, I have a file with special characters like this file1 691775025 ýÄqJ8^Z^Y{ 2004-08-23E P 100.00 45585025 0527541139295037342008-07-25OEP 100.00 6983025 ýB<9D>x<^F^Xb 2004-11-16SPP 100.00 I need a sed command to print the lines which don't have special characters.ie., only line 2... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: allinshell
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting a range of Lines

Hi All, Is there a way to get a range of lines from a file??? I want to search through a set of scripts and need to select the group of lines which do the FTP. Say, Line1 Line2 ftp SERVER user UNAME PASS send FILE_TO_BE_SENT close Line3 Line4 Line5 ftp SERVER1 user USER1 PASS1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beinthemiddle
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lines of a file

Say I wanted to select the 5th line of a file without knowing the context of the file. Would I use grep and pipe it into wc or is there a more simple way of doing this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting lines using awk

I have a file which contains five hundred thousand lines (500,000). I want to select lines of every 1000 lines from that file using AWK. I can think something like this in bash as below: for lines in {0..500000..1000} do ........ ........ done But I want to use AWK. I do not know how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjramana
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk for selecting lines in a file avoiding repetition

Hello, I am using Awk in UBUNTU 12.04. I have a file as following with 48,432,354 lines and 4 fields. The file has this structure (There are repetitions of the first column in several lines) AB_14 S54 A G AB_14 S55 A A AB_14 S56 G G GO_15 S45 T A GO_15 S46 A A PT_16 S33 C C PT_16 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting text on multiple lines, then removing a beginning and end patterns

I have a file similar to the below. I am selecting only the paragraphs with @inlineifset. I am using the following command sed '/@inlineifset/,/^ *$/!d; s/@inlineifset{mrg, @btpar{@//' $flnm >> $ofln This produces @section Correlations between seismograms,,,,}} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danette
5 Replies
BLAZE-LIST(1)						    BlazeBlogger Documentation						     BLAZE-LIST(1)

NAME
blaze-list - lists blog posts or pages in the BlazeBlogger repository SYNOPSIS
blaze-list [-cpqrsCPSV] [-b directory] [-I id] [-a author] [-t title] [-T tag] [-d day] [-m month] [-y year] [-n number] blaze-list -h|-v DESCRIPTION
blaze-list lists existing blog posts or pages in the BlazeBlogger repository. Additionally, it can also display basic repository statistics. OPTIONS
-b directory, --blogdir directory Allows you to specify a directory in which the BlazeBlogger repository is placed. The default option is a current working directory. -I id, --id id Allows you to display a single blog post or a page with the specified id. -a author, --author author Allows you to list blog posts or pages by the selected author. -t title, --title title Allows you to list blog posts or pages with matching title. -T tag, --tag tag Allows you to list blog posts or pages with matching tag. -d day, --day day Allows you to list blog posts or pages from the specified day of a month. The value has to be in the "DD" form. -m month, --month month Allows you to list blog posts or pages from the specified month. The value has to be in the "MM" form. -y year, --year year Allows you to list blog posts or pages from the specified year. The value has to be in the "YYYY" form. -n number, --number number Allows you to specify a number of blog posts or pages to be listed. -p, --page Tells blaze-list to list pages. -P, --post Tells blaze-list to list blog posts. This is the default option. -S, --stats Tells blaze-list to display statistics. -s, --short Tells blaze-list to display each blog post or page information on a single line. -r, --reverse Tells blaze-list to display blog posts or pages in reverse order. -c, --color Enables colored output. When supplied, this option overrides the relevant configuration option. -C, --no-color Disables colored output. When supplied, this option overrides the relevant configuration option. -q, --quiet Disables displaying of unnecessary messages. -V, --verbose Enables displaying of all messages. This is the default option. -h, --help Displays usage information and exits. -v, --version Displays version information and exits. EXAMPLE USAGE
List all blog post: ~]$ blaze-list ID: 11 | 2010-07-05 | Jaromir Hradilek Title: Join #blazeblogger on IRC Tags: announcement ID: 10 | 2009-12-16 | Jaromir Hradilek Title: Debian and Fedora Packages Tags: announcement etc. List all blog post in reverse order: ~]$ blaze-list -r ID: 1 | 2009-02-10 | Jaromir Hradilek Title: BlazeBlogger 0.7.0 Tags: release ID: 2 | 2009-02-11 | Jaromir Hradilek Title: BlazeBlogger 0.7.1 Tags: release etc. List all pages: ~]$ blaze-list -p ID: 5 | 2009-02-10 | Jaromir Hradilek Title: Downloads ID: 4 | 2009-02-10 | Jaromir Hradilek Title: Themes etc. List each blog post on a single line: ~]$ blaze-list -s ID: 11 | 2010-07-05 | Join #blazeblogger on IRC ID: 10 | 2009-12-16 | Debian and Fedora Packages etc. Display a short version of blog statistics: ~]$ blaze-list -Ss There is a total number of 11 blog posts and 5 pages in the repository. SEE ALSO
blaze-config(1), blaze-add(1) BUGS
To report a bug or to send a patch, please, add a new issue to the bug tracker at <http://code.google.com/p/blazeblogger/issues/>, or visit the discussion group at <http://groups.google.com/group/blazeblogger/>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Jaromir Hradilek This program is free software; see the source for copying conditions. It is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Version 1.2.0 2012-03-05 BLAZE-LIST(1)