Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Script producing error, Program to calculate maximum number Post 302345760 by rits on Thursday 20th of August 2009 07:10:04 AM
Old 08-20-2009
Thanks

Hey , Thank you everyone for detecting the error. Smilie Smilie

As, you have seen this code, this runs for only numbers from 1 to 10 ,and accordingly takes input from the user .

I want to run this program for n command line arguments. So I have done this :-

Code:
max=0
echo Enter the numbers from which max no. is to be chosen
for i in $*

// Here, in the end, the problem is that $* stands for No. of command line line arguments , how do I read n command line arguments and work accordingly ? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a script run for a maximum of "x" number of hours only

How to make a script run for a maximum of "x" number of hours only (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScriptDummy
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate the maximum value & min value

I have a file as like below, 10:20:30.45 START 10.20.30.40 10:20:31.46 HELLO 10.20.30.40 10:20:32.46 START 10.20.30.41 10:20:33.44 END 10.20.30.40 10:20:35.44 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:36.56 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:37.78 HELLO 10.20.30.41 10:20:38.99 START 10.20.30.40... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gobinath
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

maximum number of arguments

Hi, What is the maximum number of arguments that could be passed to zsh ? To find out that I tried a simple script. And the maximum number of arguments that could be passed turned out to be 23394 #! /bin/zsh arg=1 i=1 subIndex=23000 while do arg=$arg" "$i i=$(($i + 1))... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls - maximum number of files

what is the maximum number ls can list down (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karnan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

6. AIX

aix 4.2 : using dd of=/dev/rmt0 producing error

I want to compress backup files to tape using compress on our AIX 4.2 - Our TAR does not have compression. - I do not want to use local storage to compress as most of the filesystems are pretty full. - the only compressing tool we have is 'compress' - tapes are 5Gb 8mm I am trying this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not working...producing 0's and not number

Below is my script: #!/bin/sh #echo "Please type oracle-lower case please:" #read X #if ] #then # echo "Sorry that is not oracle, try again" # exit 1 #else # echo Thank you #fi find / -name oracle 2>/dev/null | while read line do bdf 2>/dev/null |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the maximum number of parameter we can pass to a shell script function?

what is the maximum number of parameter we can pass to a shell script function (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the number of days between 2 dates - bash script

I wrote the day calculator also in bash. I would like to now, that is it good so? #!/bin/bash datum1=`date -d "1991/1/1" "+%s"` datum2=`date "+%s"` diff=$(($datum2-$datum1)) days=$(($diff/(60*60*24))) echo $days Thanks in advance for your help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kovacsakos
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script not producing output

Hi, I have a text file with some thousands of rows of the following kind (this will be referred to as the inputFileWithColorsAndNumbers.txt): Blue 6 Red 4 Blue 3 Yellow 4 Red 7 Colors in the left column and a number in the right one for each line. I want to run an awk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zooma
5 Replies
fspec(4)							   File Formats 							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the system with non-standard tabs, (tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Such files must generally be converted to a standard format, frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate number of spaces, before they can be processed by system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets <: and :>. Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: ttabs The t parameter specifies the tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: o A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns. o A '-' followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns. o A '-' followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by t-8, or equivalently, t1,9,17,25, etc. The canned tabs that are recognized are defined by the tabs(1) command. ssize The s parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is prepended. mmargin The m parameter specifies a number of spaces to be prepended to each line. The value of margin must be an integer. d The d parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. e The e parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specification is encountered in the file. Default values, which are assumed for parameters not supplied, are t-8 and m0. If the s parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: * <:t5,10,15 s72:> * If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the d parameter. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1) SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 fspec(4)