Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories Post 302345546 by tukuyomi on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 01:44:19 PM
Old 08-19-2009
Is it OK for you to keep the directories to check in a file, so you check (in)existing directories against the file?

Code:
#!/bin/sh

schemaExtractDir="/var/tmp"
while read dir; do
  dir="$schemaExtractDir/$dir"
  if [ -d "$dir" ]; then
    echo "$dir exists, not creating this dir."
  else
    echo "$dir does not exist: creating one for you..."
    mkdir "$dir"
  fi
done < file

exit 0

file is a text file containing directories to create.
Code:
~$ cat file
SchemaExtract
SQL
Count
SchExtArchive

~$ ./script.sh
/var/tmp/SchemaExtract does not exist: creating one for you...
/var/tmp/SQL does not exist: creating one for you...
/var/tmp/Count exists, not creating this dir.
/var/tmp/SchExtArchive does not exist: creating one for you...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Folder in Multiple Directories

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to have a folder created in multiple directories. For example /home is where we have over 1500 staff members directories, the staff members name is the name of directory under /home. I need to have a folder called "Desktop" created in every staff members directory.... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stud33
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving directories to new directories on multiple servers

Hi - I am new to unix scripts...I need to move several directories on multiple servers to new directories. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackdaddy07
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace missing standard folders from home directories.

Hi, I want to develop a script to replace missing folders from home directories. These may have been deleted by the user. A standard home directory will have these folders in it and nothing else: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, Sites I also want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z399y
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check existance of multiple directories

Hi, I would like to check whether all the directories exists or not. I tried the below but it gives some error. below is the excerpt from my original script 24 #Check if the required directories are exists 25 dirExists() { 26 27 if 28 then 29 echo "required... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting multiple directories inside multiple directories

Hi, Very unfamiliar with unix/linux stuff. Our admin is on vacation so, need help very quickly. I have directories (eg 40001, 40002, etc) that each have one subdirectory (01). Each subdir 01 has multiple subdirs (001, 002, 003, etc). They are same in each dir. I need to keep the top and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkouraus1
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create multiple directories with awk

Hello all. Newbie here. In a directory, I have 50 files and one additional file that is a list of the names of the 50 files. I would like to create a directory for each of the 50 files, and I need the 50 directory names to correspond to the 50 file names. I know this can be done by running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zeckendorff
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking if multiple directories exist

I need to create multiple directories if those directories do not exist already. How would you go by doing this. What I have so far. array=(one two three) for I in ${array} do if ] then mkdir ${I} fi doneI have a good feeling this is done incorrectly. The error I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single script to create multiple directories

Hi , I want a script to create a directories at different locations. suppose i am on home/path/zone1. I want to create a directory of current month in this location. Then i want to create the same current month directory in home/path/zone2.like this for 9 diffrent zones. I can do this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with create multiple directories under diff file systems

Hi, Need help ...I want to create multiple directories in different /file systems using for loop..eg.../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/ctl. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/data. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/redo. Script :- ========= for dir in `ls -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux6.5
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check current date file is created and with >0 kb or not for multiple directories

Hi All, I am new in scripting and working in a project where we have RSyslog servers over CentOS v7 and more than 200 network devices are sending logs to each RSyslog servers. For each network devices individual folders create on the name of the each network devices IP addresses.The main... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pinaki
7 Replies
mkdirp(3GEN)					     String Pattern-Matching Library Functions					      mkdirp(3GEN)

NAME
mkdirp, rmdirp - create or remove directories in a path SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lgen [ library ... ] #include <libgen.h> int mkdirp(const char *path, mode_t mode); int rmdirp(char *dir, char *dir1); DESCRIPTION
The mkdirp() function creates all the missing directories in path with mode. See chmod(2) for the values of mode. The rmdirp() function removes directories in path dir. This removal begins at the end of the path and moves backward toward the root as far as possible. If an error occurs, the remaining path is stored in dir1. RETURN VALUES
If path already exists or if a needed directory cannot be created, mkdirp() returns -1 and sets errno to one of the error values listed for mkdir(2). It returns zero if all the directories are created. The rmdirp() function returns 0 if it is able to remove every directory in the path. It returns -2 if a ``.'' or ``..'' is in the path and -3 if an attempt is made to remove the current directory. Otherwise it returns -1. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Example of creating scratch directories. The following example creates scratch directories. /* create scratch directories */ if(mkdirp("/tmp/sub1/sub2/sub3", 0755) == -1) { fprintf(stderr, "cannot create directory"); exit(1); } chdir("/tmp/sub1/sub2/sub3"); . . . /* cleanup */ chdir("/tmp"); rmdirp("sub1/sub2/sub3"); ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chmod(2), mkdir(2), rmdir(2), malloc(3C), attributes(5) NOTES
The mkdirp() function uses malloc(3C) to allocate temporary space for the string. SunOS 5.10 14 Oct 2003 mkdirp(3GEN)