Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris putenv() doesnt really export the variable Post 302345461 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 09:42:13 AM
Old 08-19-2009
Let me understand. You call putenv() inside a program that relies on LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

You do know that dld() opens the runtime libraries BEFORE your putenv() code is called?
How else could it access the external code for putenv? putenv is linked as a symbol reference that has to be dereferenced at runtime.

So. Part of exectuable image activation is opening the runtime libraries. Do you have truss or strace or trace on your machine? If so, run your code under it. Note that before the executable runs the stuff you wrote it does a lot of file mapping and file opening. Most of that is shared libraries.

One way -

Instead of all this pain, statically link your exectuable against the library that now requiresLD_LIBRARY_PATH. Usually this means supplying the name of the .a form of the library on the command line (or makefile)

Code:
cc myfile.c /some/odd/path/liboddlibrary.a  -o myfile

Now, you do not need LD_LIBRARY_PATH in order to use liboddlibrary

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Export command giving Variable Name vs the Value set for the Variable

I'm having an issue when I export within my program. I'm getting the variable name, not the variable value. I have a configuration file (config.txt) that has the values of the variables set as so: set -a export ARCHIVEPOSourceDir="/interfaces/po/log /interfaces/po/data" export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParNone
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to export the Display variable

I'm trying to open an xwindow on my Sun server. What am I doing wrong? # echo $SHELL /sbin/sh # # export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 DISPLAY=localhost:0.0: is not an identifier Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

3. Programming

problem while setting putenv

Hi, I m trying to change the env variable from the c program which inturn calls another c executable. i m using the putenv function but it does not set the value as required , it overwrites the values with some other values... i m using following cmd's to set the env variable FULL_PATH : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export variable as number

Hi Guys, I am using the korn shell. I have an environments files where I have defined a variable export START_TIME=060000 export END_TIME=220000 I source this environments file into one of my scripts. The problem is that when I try to use this variable, I cannot get to use this variable as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeus101
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export Variable

How to export variable from one script to other? Can anybody give me syntax for that? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export variable

Hi I have a pass a variable from one script to another. Here are my scripts Script #1 ./profile #!/bin/sh export NAME="Hello" Script #2 ./test #!/bin/sh ./profile echo $NAME when I run ./test .. i am not getting anything .. why is that? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arex876
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

where does variable export to?

Hi, Unix Gurus, I have a problem need help. I have a script to generate environment variable code same as following: oracle_sid=abcd export oracle_sid when I execute this code with command ./script_nane it succeeded. when I try to find it with env command or echo $oracle_sid, it does not show... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't export variable

I am relatively new to exporting variables, and I just can't seem to make this count work. What I have is the following: TOTAL=$($IMAGELIST -backupid $IM -U |gawk '{print $5}' |tail -1)|gawk '{print $6}' RESTORED=$($BPDBJOBS -most_columns -jobid $JOBS |cut -f15 -d,) |gawk '{print $6}' export... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help export variable

Hi, Please find my code below. ps -xef | grep 14766 | awk 'BEGIN{X="java_home=";X="weblogic_home="} {for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i ~ /-Dplatform\.home|java$/){split($i,P,"=");s=P?P:$i;print X""s}}}' echo "java_home="$java_home echo "weblogic_home="$weblogic_home Output: Why does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export command - variable

Hello, Please see the script found in my computer below. (Ubuntu 14.04) #!/bin/sh export APP_DIR="/home/appname" monitorscript="$APP_DIR""/monitor.sh" ps cax | grep monitor.sh > /dev/null if ; then echo "monitor.sh is running" else "$monitorscript" fi My question is regarding EXPORT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
3 Replies