Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading/Compressing of log file Post 302345097 by chompy on Tuesday 18th of August 2009 11:51:27 AM
Old 08-18-2009
Depending on the nature of these logfiles, and your craftiness, you might be able to use a tool like logwatch to do the parsing for you.

20-30gb log file?!?!?! What happened to syslog?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log File Writing and Reading

Hi all, I have the following shell script code which tries to sftp and writes the log into the log file. TestConnection () { echo 'Connection to ' $DESTUSERNAME@$DESTHOSTNAME $SETDEBUG if ]; then rm $SCRIPT ; fi touch $SCRIPT echo "cd" $REMOTEDIR >> $SCRIPT echo "quit" >>... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: valluvan
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compressing of log files

Hello All My first post in the forum. :) I've this huge log files of size 20GB-30 GB in my unix server. I want to analyse the log file for some error messages. But because of the enormity of the size of these files i'm not able to grep/search the pattern in the file . Also, tried to gzip the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgbhat
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any way to find the compressed size of a file without compressing it in linux

i need to backup a directory from one partition to another and and compress that directory after backing up, so i need to predict the compressed size of the directory with out actually compressing it, to check whether the space is available in the destination partition to accommodate the zipped... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing previous log automatically

I want to create a script that will zip the previous log. Example. abc.log.2012.12.02 abc.log.2012.12.01.gzip abc.log If today is 2012.12.03 , my current log is abc.log and my previous date is 2012.12.02, i want abc.log.2012.12.02 to compress everytime I run the script. I can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaibiganmi
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the file name while compressing

Hi, Is there any way to change the file name while compressing ? using Compress and gzip and tar ? Say, I have a file foo.txt - so I have to compress this file and the resultant file name is foo.txt_20130113.gz or foo.txt_20130113.Z This to be done while performing the compression... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing old files as zip file through script

I have below files in foler one/archive> one. txt 6/21/2013 two txt 7/23/2013 three.txt 6/20/2013 I wanted to move all the old files (>30 days) compressing single .zip file into one/archive/ as below two txt 7/23/2013 oldfiles.zip 6/21/2013 Please provide... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh L
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from live log file using while loop and considering only those lines start from

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which start from time stamp; Below code I am using, which read line but throws an exception when comparing line that does not contain error code tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read myline; do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a log file

Hi, I'm trying to write a script to go through few folders read some log files and make a list from the data. the log files are in few steps each step having a final energy but I need to read the last final energy coming after the keyword "hurray". I have so far accomplished a code like... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: raymondg
16 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Trouble with Shell Script Compressing file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: You will create a shell script that performs the following action: Use a parameter to pass a file that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luvs2drnk
5 Replies
SYSLOG(3)								 1								 SYSLOG(3)

syslog - Generate a system log message

SYNOPSIS
bool syslog (int $priority, string $message) DESCRIPTION
syslog(3) generates a log message that will be distributed by the system logger. For information on setting up a user defined log handler, see the syslog.conf(5) Unix manual page. More information on the syslog facili- ties and option can be found in the man pages for syslog(3) on Unix machines. PARAMETERS
o $priority -$priority is a combination of the facility and the level. Possible values are: syslog(3) Priorities (in descending order) +------------+------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +------------+------------------------------------+ | | | | LOG_EMERG | | | | | | | system is unusable | | | | | | | | LOG_ALERT | | | | | | | action must be taken immediately | | | | | | | | LOG_CRIT | | | | | | | critical conditions | | | | | | | | LOG_ERR | | | | | | | error conditions | | | | | | | |LOG_WARNING | | | | | | | warning conditions | | | | | | | |LOG_NOTICE | | | | | | | normal, but significant, condition | | | | | | | | LOG_INFO | | | | | | | informational message | | | | | | | | LOG_DEBUG | | | | | | | debug-level message | | | | +------------+------------------------------------+ o $message - The message to send, except that the two characters %m will be replaced by the error message string (strerror) corresponding to the present value of errno. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using syslog(3) <?php // open syslog, include the process ID and also send // the log to standard error, and use a user defined // logging mechanism openlog("myScriptLog", LOG_PID | LOG_PERROR, LOG_LOCAL0); // some code if (authorized_client()) { // do something } else { // unauthorized client! // log the attempt $access = date("Y/m/d H:i:s"); syslog(LOG_WARNING, "Unauthorized client: $access {$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']} ({$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']})"); } closelog(); ?> NOTES
On Windows NT, the syslog service is emulated using the Event Log. Note Use of LOG_LOCAL0 through LOG_LOCAL7 for the $facility parameter of openlog(3) is not available in Windows. SEE ALSO
openlog(3), closelog(3). PHP Documentation Group SYSLOG(3)