Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Setting a variable within if block Post 302345030 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 18th of August 2009 09:09:46 AM
Old 08-18-2009
The pipe starts a new shell (child) so the assigned value of the variable is lost after the loop.

Try something like this:

Code:
IS_VAR=0

list=$(ls)

for input in $list
do
if [ $input = "hi" ]
then
  IS_VAR=1
  echo $IS_VAR
  break
fi
done
echo $IS_VAR

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting CC variable

I am trying to install GCC-3.1.1 on an SGI Indigo2. I already have MIPSpro 7.2.1 installed. However, when I try to configure GCC-3.1.1, I get the message "cc ERROR: cc -o conftest -g failed, You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler." What is the name of the MIPSpro c++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdbanas
1 Replies

2. Programming

setting CC variable

I am trying to install GCC-3.1.1 on an SGI Indigo2. I already have MIPSpro 7.2.1 installed. However, when I try to configure GCC-3.1.1, I get the message "cc ERROR: cc -o conftest -g failed, You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler." What is the name of the MIPSpro c++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdbanas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a variable

I want to set a variable to be any number of dashes. Rather than doing the following: MYVAR="------------------" I'd like to be able to set the variable to, say, 80 dashes but don't want to have to count 80 dashes. Is there a way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photh
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting PS1 variable

Hi, I am trying to set my current prompt with the current directory iam working on by $PS1=$PWD but it is blank. please help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: papachi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable setting help please

L=0 cat test.sh | while read line do L='expr $1 + 1' echo $L done echo $l >>> the echo $L at the end produces 0 but i actually want it to produce the number of lines - any idea why this is happening? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a variable (need syntax help)

I need some syntax help (working in a bash shell) I have a variable which is a filename with an extension, and I need to create another variable with the same name but a different extension To explain, the input file should be called something like "filename.L1" and the output file should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Slanter
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting variable

How do you set a varible with information that contains a string and also another variable? For example: subject="Attention: $name / This $type needs your attention" The $xxxx are of course other variables that I instantiated earlier. Is it like Java where you have to use double quotes and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: briskbaby
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting a variable

In my script, I have the following command.... du -sk `ls -ltd sales12|awk '{print $11}'`|awk '{print $1}' it returns the value 383283 I want to modify my script to capture that value into a variable. So, I try doing the following... var1=`du -sk `ls -ltd sales12|awk '{print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tumblez
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with setting a variable!

I am working within a while loop and i am trying to set a variable that will read out each count of the files. the problem is the count variable i have set up gives me a total and not the individual count of each file. in the data area there is 4 abc.dat and 1 def.dat. how can i do this??? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting the PS1 variable

Hi i'm new to unix, can anyone assist in me setting the PS1 variable in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user@123
3 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)