Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [bash] Run a program many times Post 302344816 by Oddjobz on Monday 17th of August 2009 04:41:00 PM
Old 08-17-2009
Re; [bash] Run a program many times

Any reason why you wouldn't use "wait" ?

I'm assuming from what you say the program is running in the background, hence the issue with regards to knowing what it's finished .. how about something like;

Code:
for i in `cat parameters`
do
    echo "Testing with $i"
    time ./my_prog $i
    wait $!
done

Depending on your parameters you'll probably need something a little more complete than "cat parameters", but in principle this will wait for my_prog to finish even if it backgrounds ..

Or .. for a batch in parallel ..

Code:
list=""
function me()
{
    ./my_prog $1
    list="$list $!"
}

for i in `cat parameters`
do
    echo "Testing with $i"
    time me $i
done

wait $list

'Course if they all finish around the same time, the output from "time" might be interesting to interpret ... Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I use $1 several times in shell program?

Hi, I am new to Unix and shell programming. I am trying to write a shell program to read 4 variables from command line. For example, Please enter your name: somebody Please enter your address: address plase enter your phone: phone I'd like to save all threee variables in my program for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Checking mem usage at specific times in a program

Hi all, I'm running a simulator and I'm noticing an slow increase in memory for long simulations such that the simulation has to end because of a lack of memory. A colleague of mine ran Valgrind memcheck and reported that nothing of interest was reported other than known mem leaks. My advisor... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pl4u
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run same script multiple times in parallel

Hi all, I have a requirement in which a script invokes a Java program. Lets say script ABC invokes a java program with cfg file a parameter. This script takes 10 minutes to execute . Like this ineed to run the program 10 times meaning 100 minutes if i do it sequentially. If i open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahman_riyaz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to run x times

Hi, First i need to cd to this directory $SWDIR/util Second i need to run the following either 4 times or 20 times ./swadm add_process 1 BG Y how can i put this in a script which should ask for user input on how many times you want to run this Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting script how many times it run?

i should use this script runs how many times before ? how can i do_? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: utoptas
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Run Program from Bash CGI-Script

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: This is a problem I am having with my 2 semester senior project. I have a LAMP server running Ubuntu 9.10 with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JMooney5115
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run .command at specific times

Okay so I've got a command to start my java server up, but I want it to start at say 8:00AM and then stop at 11:00PM. In order to stop it I have to type stop and press enter in the terminal. I've been trying to get this to work and I'm having no luck. Here's my command: #!/bin/bash cd "`dirname... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustChillin1414
2 Replies

8. Programming

Compare times to run a program - Serial vs MPI

Hi, I have a fortran program with serial and MPI version. I want to compare the time taken by these programs to run. I use ifort/gfortran compiler. How to compare the time taken by each program to run? Is there any sample code for comparison? Thanks, rpd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpd25
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell program- how many times a function is called

We have a program source C and is required to indicate how many times each function is called from the C program. also print the line number where there is a call. I've tried something like this: #!/bin/sh for i in $*;do if ! then echo $i is not a C file. else echo $i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oana06
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a job between times else run later

Hi guys, I have written a script that waits for a trigger file. Then checks the time of the trigger. if the trigger finished between 8pm and midnight then runs a job. else it waits till 1am then runs a different job. I am still very new to scripting so any suggestions to improve my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: twinion
4 Replies
WAIT(2) 							System Calls Manual							   WAIT(2)

NAME
wait - wait for a process to exit SYNOPSIS
#include <u.h> #include <libc.h> int wait(Waitmsg *w) DESCRIPTION
Wait causes a process to wait for any child process (see fork(2)) to exit. It returns the pid of a child that has exited and fills in w with more information about the child. W points to a Waitmsg, which has this structure: typedef struct Waitmsg { char pid[12]; /* of loved one */ char time[3*12]; /* of loved one & descendants */ char msg[ERRLEN]; } Waitmsg; Pid is the child's process id. The time array contains the time the child and its descendants spent in user code, the time spent in system calls, and the child's elapsed real time, all in units of milliseconds. All integers in a Waitmsg are formatted as right-justified textual numbers in 11-byte fields followed by a blank. Msg contains the message that the child specified in exits(2). For a normal exit, msg[0] is zero, otherwise msg is prefixed by the process name, a blank, the process id, and a colon. If there are no more children to wait for, wait returns immediately, with return value -1. SOURCE
/sys/src/libc/9syscall SEE ALSO
fork(2), exits(2), the wait file in proc(3) DIAGNOSTICS
Sets errstr. WAIT(2)