Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: IP Traffic forwarding
Operating Systems Linux IP Traffic forwarding Post 302344622 by Anuradhai4i on Monday 17th of August 2009 07:01:48 AM
Old 08-17-2009
Bug IP Traffic forwarding

Hello All

I have the following setup of a network. Client machines sends requests to the server which is (192.168.1.50) running on Ubuntu server 8.04. And this server forwards all incoming traffic from clients to another server (192.168.1.100) when it's available. The availability is checked periodically using a shell script.

The following NAT rule has been given for the forwarding task.
Rule 1: Iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 192.168.1.50 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.100

In the event 192.168.1.100 is unavailable the shell script will detect the unavailability and shift the traffic to 192.168.1.200. The current iptable rules are flushed and the following rule is applied.

Rule 2: Iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 192.168.1.50 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.200

In the normal scenario when 192.168.1.100 is available the forwarding rule (Rule 1) works properly. The issue is when 192.168.1.100 is unavailable and the traffic is shifted to 192.168.1.200 the traffic is not forwarded properly as required. However when 192.168.1.50 is rebooted and Rule 2 is applied the
forwarding happened as required.

ARP cache and router cache was cleared as well but that did not
solve the issue. The issue was solved only after rebooting 192.168.1.50

Any idea that I can get this sone without rebooting 192.168.1.50 ?

Thank you in advance
Anuradha Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

E-mail forwarding

Hi, I would like to set up an E-mail forwarding service like Netaddress whereby users would be able to create an E-mail account in my domain name and have all the mail sent to that account forwarded to an alternate address they specify. I know that I can redirect mail sent to my domain using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BigBro
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

ip forwarding

Can anyone out there explain to me how to multi home a nic? I hate to say it but I'm a windows guy forced to learn Unix. The issue I currently have is I can't changed the ip on eth0, but in order to make it pingable by other servers I need to multi home the nic with a totally seperate Ip. Any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: win2khater
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email forwarding ? Help !

Hi, I'd like to forward my Emails from my domain to my gmx and web.de accounts. For example: bla@blabla.de to bla@gmx.de blabla@blabla.de to bla@web.de How to do this ? I know that .forward forwards all emails to one account, but that's not what I want. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

port forwarding

Hi, I have to install an application that has a built in tftp server. Tftp comes in on port 69. As i am not installing this application as a root user i am running into trouble because only the root user can listen to ports < 1024. So changing the port i listen to to one greater than 1023 isn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: imloaded24_7
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Port forwarding

Hi I want to set up port forwarding from one network to another network. I already have this configured on the Linux box using iptables. iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth1 --dport 1521 -j DNAT --to 10.218.146.230 iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -i eth1 -d 10.218.146.230 -j ACCEPT ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
2 Replies

6. Solaris

mail forwarding

Hello everybody, I have solaris 10 running on SF v890, I need to forward some sepecific root mails resulted from some application, (or all root mails) to other machine running Solaris 10 also. does it have anything to do with mail relay, or just change the log settings??? Thanks in Advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aladdin
1 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

ssh X-forwarding and remote forwarding behind proxy

Hi, from my workplace we use a proxy to connect to the outside world, including external ssh servers. The problem is that the server is seeing the connection coming from the proxy and knows nothing about the client behind it. The ssh connection itself works fine, but x-forwarding does not work as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vampirodolce
1 Replies

8. AIX

X Forwarding broke

X Forwarding has quit working on only 2 of our AIX Servers. ssh -X -vvv host That shows it requesting the X11 forward auth spoofing. No errors. echo $DISPLAY shows the display variable However when I execute xclock.... nothing... Kinda like it just hangs and for some reasons it does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gibby13
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with DHCP Forwarding

Hi all. I'm not sure I'm posting this in the correct forum. Let me know if I should move it. I'm trying to setup a downstream router. I have a fairly standard gateway box that provides NAT, DCHP, etc. I want to add another router for QOS. I'd like to go from the gateway to the QOS box, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thorgear
2 Replies

10. IP Networking

3 public servers: middle machine for traffic forwarding

With the following machines... Server 1: PPTP client windows; Public IP: 1.1.1.1 Server 3: PPTP server centos6; Public IP: 3.3.3.3 Connecting VPN server3 from server1 works correctly! Goal is to have a middle server forwarding traffic in both ways Server 1: PPTP client windows; Public IP:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pedroz
0 Replies
fair(7) 					       BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual						   fair(7)

NAME
fair -- simple TCP load balancing service DESCRIPTION
fair is a load balancer for TCP connections. It can be used to distribute incoming connections for SMTP, HTTP or any other TCP service to multiple hosts, distributing the load as evenly as possible. fair consists of two daemons. The carrousel is the front-end; it keeps track of back-end hosts and their status, and forwards incoming con- nections to the back-ends in such a way that the load is distributed fairly. The transponder runs on the back-end hosts, it registers with the carrousel and sends it status information. The TCP connections forwarded by the carrousel are not sent to the transponder daemons but are sent directly to the desired service running on the back-end host. Both daemons share a single configuration file. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how to set up fair to service HTTP connections and to distribute them over back-ends in the 192.168.1.0/24 sub- net. The configuration file /etc/fair.conf contains the following: WorkerService = http BalancerService = http AllowUDP = ^192.168.1.[0-9]+$ On www.example.com, the front-end server receiving the incoming HTTP connections, just run: carrousel On each of the back-ends run: transponder www.example.com SEE ALSO
carrousel(8), transponder(8), fair.conf(5) Debian GNU/Linux June 1, 2019 Debian GNU/Linux