Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sendmail problems -- with sending mail Post 302344509 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 17th of August 2009 12:59:45 AM
Old 08-17-2009
You can find the smarthost to use by looking for your provider's mail handler. They will usually just tell you if you ask (it's the same as the server to use for sending mail when configuring a regular mail client like MS Outlook).
You can, alternatively, try the mail handler in their MX record:
Code:
nslookup -type=MX your.domain.name

---------- Post updated at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:57 PM ----------

You can test a given address to see if it might be a good smarthost to use:
Code:
telnet the.smarthost.you.want.to.use 25

And see if you get a message talking about mail.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems sending Mail

Hello everybody I already read all the posts about "how to send email" but i dont find the solution, i need to send a mail via commands. Into the mail i need to attach a file.txt how can i do that? Thanx. Lestat (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Set up Sendmail as sending only server

I have set up where my primary fibre optical WAN access does not have any sending SMTP service but my fall-back ADSL service does. However, with most Internet Service Providers, the SMTP service access is "locked" to the IP addresses that the service knows about. Therefore I can not send SMTP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smlunatick
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop sending mail after certain number of mail

Hi guys... I am busy writing a script to notify me via an mail if my application is down. I have done that. Now I want this script to stop sending mails after five mails were sent but the script should keep on checking the application. When the application is up again that count should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with sending mail from txt file having HTML code via sendmail -t

Hi, i have the following code in shell named as test3.sh.. #!/bin/sh . /home/<user>/.profile export dt=`date "+%d%b%y"` export tim=`date "+%d%b%y %HM:%MM"` cd export WD=`pwd` SID="<sid>" export SID export ORACLE_SID=$SID export ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/$SID/102_64 export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail in UNIX with body and attachment(.txt) using sendmail command

Hi All, In my .ksh script, I am sending an email with body and attachment (.txt) using sendmail command. I am able to receive the attachement along with the body of the mail. But I am getting special characters along with the content in the .txt. Also the alignment is incorrect. Can you please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KRR
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending attachment using sendmail command

Send_Mail() { C_Date=`date +"%m/%d/%Y"` #Subject="MMDB Load Job Status" for i in `cat $Metafile` do if then email_address=`echo $i | cut -d":" -f2` /usr/lib/sendmail "$email_address" < $Email_File fi done } this is the send mail command i am using .please let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alok K Yadav
1 Replies

8. Proxy Server

How to send mail (sendmail) for php mail()?

PHP mail() function doesn't work. Nor does sendmail: loaded system configuration file /etc/msmtprc ignoring user configuration file /home/xi/.msmtprc: No such file or directory falling back to default account using account default from /etc/msmtprc host = xsi port = 25 proxy host = (not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending mail with attachment(image) using sendmail in Linux(ksh)

Hi guys, I am trying to send a mail with below command which is working fine. $FilePath_mail have To,From and other information along with mail body which is in HTML format. I want to have image(logo) in the body. So just wanted to send it as an an attachment. /usr/sbin/sendmail -t <... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balakrishnaps
1 Replies
pycmail(1)						      General Commands Manual							pycmail(1)

NAME
pycmail - mail sorter SYNOPSIS
pycmail [-d debuglevel] [-t] [-c conffile] [file1 file2 file3 ...] DESCRIPTION
pycmail is a mail sorter similar to procmail, written in python, using python syntax for mail delivery. OPTIONS
file1 file2 ... read mails from file1 file2 ... instead of from stdin (useful for mail postprocessing) -d level, --debuglevel level set debuglevel to level. -t testing mode. No mail delivery will be done. Use in conjuction with -d -c conffile, --config=conffile use file conffile as a user configuration file (instead of ~/.pycmailrc ) -D define add define to the DEFINES list (this can be tested later in the .pycmailrc to modify the behaviour). Can be repeated several times to add more strings. USAGE
pycmail should be invoked automatically from the .forward file when mail arrives. Default debuglevel is 0, which means pycmail tries to deliver mail in almost foolproof way: if there is any error in ~/.pycmailrc file, mail will be delivered to the default mailbox (such as /var/spool/mail/USERNAME ). If the debuglevel is 1, any error in ~/.pycmailrc file will be printed, resulting in bounced mail (but pycmail will still try to deliver the mail to default mailbox). Higher debuglevels will print more information about the actual mail processing. The bigger the debuglevel, the more detailed information is printed. To test your configuration, do something like this: formail -s pycmail -d 2 -t < your_test_mailbox_file SEE ALSO
procmail(1), lockfile(1), formail(1) AUTHOR
Radovan Garabik <garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk> 2006-10-17 pycmail(1)