Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming shared memory - userdefined data structures Post 302344462 by fpmurphy on Sunday 16th of August 2009 07:32:20 PM
Old 08-16-2009
Yes you can write a list and/or data structure to shared memory.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mmap vs shared memory - which is best for sharing data between applications?

Between mmap and shared memory which is the best method of sharing data between multiple applications, interms of speed? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmds
2 Replies

3. Programming

mmap vs shared memory - which is faster for reading data between multiple process

Between mmap and shared memory which is the best method of sharing data between multiple applications, interms of speed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmds
1 Replies

4. Programming

Shared memory in shared library

I need to create a shared library to access an in memory DB. The DB is not huge, but big enough to make it cumbersome to carry around in every single process using the shared library. Luckily, it is pretty static information, so I don't need to worry much about synchronizing the data between... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
12 Replies

5. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Data Structures

Here is what i need to do. @data #has all column wise data so say info for col 1 location for all rows would be in this array $array = \@data But i need to create a file which should contain these information in a format for all columns even if i have got no values from some of the index... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
0 Replies

7. Programming

Loading Data in shared memory (C++)

I'll try to keep this short, but basically I need to figure out a way to load data in shared memory (this file will be called load.c) I will later access the data with a print.c program. The "data" is in the form of a student database that looks like this John Blakeman 111223333 560... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mercfh
7 Replies

8. Programming

Signalsafe data structures

Hello, I have a signal handler which manipulates a data structure. The data structure's operations aren't atomic. So if two threads/processes are in a critical section at the same time the data structure will be broken. With threads you can avoid this stuff with semaphores etc. However,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlegnome
10 Replies

9. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies
SHMAT(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  SHMAT(2)

NAME
shmat, shmdt -- map/unmap shared memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/shm.h> void * shmat(int shmid, const void *shmaddr, int shmflg); int shmdt(const void *shmaddr); DESCRIPTION
shmat() maps the shared memory segment associated with the shared memory identifier shmid into the address space of the calling process. The address at which the segment is mapped is determined by the shmaddr parameter. If it is equal to 0, the system will pick an address itself. Otherwise, an attempt is made to map the shared memory segment at the address shmaddr specifies. If SHM_RND is set in shmflg, the system will round the address down to a multiple of SHMLBA bytes (SHMLBA is defined in <sys/shm.h> ). A shared memory segment can be mapped read-only by specifying the SHM_RDONLY flag in shmflg. shmdt() unmaps the shared memory segment that is currently mapped at shmaddr from the calling process' address space. shmaddr must be a value returned by a prior shmat() call. A shared memory segment will remain existant until it is removed by a call to shmctl(2) with the IPC_RMID command. RETURN VALUES
shmat() returns the address at which the shared memory segment has been mapped into the calling process' address space when successful, shmdt() returns 0 on successful completion. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The shmat() system call will fail if: [EACCES] The calling process has no permission to access this shared memory segment. [EINVAL] shmid is not a valid shared memory identifier. shmaddr specifies an illegal address. [EMFILE] The number of shared memory segments has reached the system-wide limit. [ENOMEM] There is not enough available data space for the calling process to map the shared memory segment. The shmdt() system call will fail if: [EINVAL] shmaddr is not the start address of a mapped shared memory segment. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/shm.h> The include files <sys/types.h> and <sys/ipc.h> are necessary for both functions. SEE ALSO
mmap(2), shmctl(2), shmget(2), compat(5) BSD
August 17, 1995 BSD