Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count the repetition of a Field in File Post 302344438 by tukuyomi on Sunday 16th of August 2009 04:23:41 PM
Old 08-16-2009
Here is what I get so far. Of course, you'll surely have other replies that will do the same in a simpler way Smilie
Code:
#!/bin/sh

sort -t',' -k2,2n file | uniq -c -s4 > tmp

while read line; do
  echo "$line,$(grep ${line##*,} tmp | awk '{print $1}')"
done < file

exit 0

Your data file need to be named file, in the same directory as the script.
I use a tmp file to keep the number of occurences of the second field.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count of Field for Non-Empty

Hi Guys, I wanted to count the number of records for a particular field of a file. whose fields are separated by comma"," I fI use this command. cat "filename" cut -sd "," -f13 | wc -l This shows all the lines count including the blank values for the field number 13. I wanted to count... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swapna173
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count field frequency in a '|' delimited file

I have a large file with fields delimited by '|', and I want to run some analysis on it. What I want to do is count how many times each field is populated, or list the frequency of population for each field. I am in a Sun OS environment. Thanks, - CB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the repetition values in a file using bourne shell

Hi all, I have a scenario, like consider a file abc.txt, inside abc.txt, the contents is value1 = aaa, value2 = bbb, value3 = ccc, value1 = ddd. In this situation i need to throw an error for the repeatation of keys like "value1" is repeating twice. how to handle this using bourne... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nandagopal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read File and Display The Count of a particular field

Hi Mates, I require help in the following: I have the following file snmp.txt Wed Mar 2 16:02:39 SGT 2011 Class : mmTrapBladeS origin : 10.0.0.0 hostname : 10.0.0.2 msg : IBM Blade Alert: Calendar Index : 10.0.0.2-IBMBLADE Fri Mar 4 07:10:54 SGT 2011 Class : mmTrapBladeS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk for selecting lines in a file avoiding repetition

Hello, I am using Awk in UBUNTU 12.04. I have a file as following with 48,432,354 lines and 4 fields. The file has this structure (There are repetitions of the first column in several lines) AB_14 S54 A G AB_14 S55 A A AB_14 S56 G G GO_15 S45 T A GO_15 S46 A A PT_16 S33 C C PT_16 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the field values in a file

Hi I have a file with contents like : 101,6789556897,0000795369 - seq - fmt_recs187] - avg_recs 101,4678354769,0000835783 - seq - fmt_recs98] - avg_recs 221,5679787008,0001344589 - seq - fmt_recs1283] - avg_recs I need to find the sum of the all the values (which are in bold). here... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count of unique lines in field 4

When I use the below awk to count the unique lines in $4 for the input it seems to work. The answer is 3 because $4 is only unique 3 times in all the entries. However, when I use the same on actual data I get 56,536 and I know the answer should be 56,548. My question is there a better way to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the field and add String?

Example i have 3 fields and i wanna add my input to the field after that (NF+1) SID|Fname|Lname 123123:adds:asdasdasd Result SID|Fname|Lname|Number 123123:adds:asdasdasd:123123 ---------- Post updated at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:23 PM ---------- Input is likes.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vutung1991
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: count unique elements in a field and sum their occurence across the entire file

Hi, Sure it's an easy one, but it drives me insane. input ("|" separated): 1|A,B,C,A 2|A,D,D 3|A,B,B I would like to count the occurence of each capital letters in $2 across the entire file, knowing that duplicates in each record count as 1. I am trying to get this output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies
pacmd(1)						      General Commands Manual							  pacmd(1)

NAME
pacmd - Reconfigure a PulseAudio sound server during runtime SYNOPSIS
pacmd pacmd --help pacmd --version DESCRIPTION
This tool can be used to introspect or reconfigure a running PulseAudio sound server during runtime. It connects to the sound server and offers a simple live shell that can be used to enter the commands also understood in the default.pa configuration scripts. To exit the live shell, use ctrl+d. Note that the 'exit' command inside the shell will tell the PulseAudio daemon itself to shutdown! If any arguments are passed on the command line, they will be passed into the live shell which will process the command and exit. OPTIONS
-h | --help Show help. --version Show version information. AUTHORS
The PulseAudio Developers <pulseaudio-discuss (at) lists (dot) freedesktop (dot) org>; PulseAudio is available from http://pulseaudio.org/ SEE ALSO
pulse-cli-syntax(5), pulseaudio(1), pactl(1), default.pa(5) Manuals User pacmd(1)