Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users apt vs aptitude little tutorial Post 302344407 by methyl on Sunday 16th of August 2009 01:07:51 PM
Old 08-16-2009
Please go through you post and correct as many typing mistakes as possible (there are at least 30). It makes the post extraordinarily difficult to read.

Quote:
Similar situation is in packages one package can be usesd with another, and that is depenndency.
Maybe you mean?:

Quote:
Where one package relies on another, that is a dependency.
Perhaps number the paragraphs so that people can respond to specific questions within this thesis.
Where you have an actual command line that you have typed at a command prompt and pasted into the post, please mark the command line with "code tags".

This line for example is rather difficult to follow unless we can split the code from the dialogue:

Quote:
What is dpkg --get-selections > bak; dpkg --set-selections < bak; (just another format for dpkg -l) ?
Did you mean:?
Is
Code:
dpkg --get-selections > bak; dpkg --set-selections < bak

just another format for
Code:
dpkg -l

Please state what failed? e.g. Did you receive any error messages from:

Code:
dpkg --remove packagename

On a pedantic note:
Quote:
Lets celar some terms:

Let's clarify some terms:
OMG I'm turning into an English tutor.

Last edited by methyl; 08-16-2009 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: more typos than the original post !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Debian aptitude - apt-get problem

I've got a strange one. As root, in aptitude, I'll do an update successfully. Then I do an upgrade, the files download, the progress bar will not show total progress, just progress per file, then reset to 0% for the next file. When the files complete downloading, I hit a carrige return to go to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikek147
1 Replies

2. Linux

apt-get craziness.....

I had mysql client installed, then I upgraded my version of perl using apt-get install. Now, I want to get mysql-client working again and when I try to install it, I get: /usr/bin# apt-get install mysql-client Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies: mysql-client: Depends:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natter
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apt-get install

When I use apt-get install command, for example samba install, does that command then invokes search of entire disk to find samba packet or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salvor_hardin
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

apt-get install error

Hello when i am giving a command apt-get install I am getting error as below: " apt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.3.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory " can u suggest what to do. https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

5. Debian

apt-get error

Hello when i am giving a command apt-get install I am getting error as below: " apt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.3.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory " can u suggest what to do. step by step. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Aptitude removes all packages

Hi Team, Please find below error. I got this after i done something in aptitude. Actually i was trying to update all packages, but unfortunately I removed all packages. Now my server is down. When i boot it gives me me errors of missing .so files. Is there any way to repair my server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Yum and apt-get

I know both yum and apt-get could update the package , could advise which one is better in Redhat server ? thanks Login ID ust3 is currently in read-only mode for multiple infractions. Creating new identities to avoid restrictions is not allowed. This thread is closed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust03
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apt-get install --purge

Hello, i would like to know what is the use of that command apt-get install --purgeI understand the use of --purge while using with remove parameter, but i don't get it when it's about installing. Enlight me please ! Thx ---------- Post updated 09-03-16 at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Purgator
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Apt-get

Want to install APACHE but it's saying command is not found using centos (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbest1966
4 Replies

10. Web Development

Vue JS 2 Tutorial by The Net Ninja: A Recommended Vue.js Video Tutorial Series

A number of people have asked me how to get started with Vue.js and my reply before today was to Google "Vue.js". That has changed and my recommendation to anyone who wants to learn the fastest growing, easiest to learn and use Vue.js web dev framework is to watch this video tutorial series: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
DPKG-RECONFIGURE(8)						      Debconf						       DPKG-RECONFIGURE(8)

NAME
dpkg-reconfigure - reconfigure an already installed package SYNOPSIS
dpkg-reconfigure [options] packages DESCRIPTION
dpkg-reconfigure reconfigures packages after they have already been installed. Pass it the names of a package or packages to reconfigure. It will ask configuration questions, much like when the package was first installed. If you just want to see the current configuration of a package, see debconf-show(1) instead. OPTIONS
-ftype, --frontend=type Select the frontend to use. The default frontend can be permanently changed by: dpkg-reconfigure debconf Note that if you normally have debconf set to use the noninteractive frontend, dpkg-reconfigure will use the dialog frontend instead, so you actually get to reconfigure the package. -pvalue, --priority=value Specify the minimum priority of question that will be displayed. dpkg-reconfigure normally shows low priority questions no matter what your default priority is. See debconf(7) for a list. --default-priority Use whatever the default priority of question is, instead of forcing the priority to low. -u, --unseen-only By default, all questions are shown, even if they have already been answered. If this parameter is set though, only questions that have not yet been seen will be asked. --force Force dpkg-reconfigure to reconfigure a package even if the package is in an inconsistent or broken state. Use with caution. --no-reload Prevent dpkg-reconfigure from reloading templates. Use with caution; this will prevent dpkg-reconfigure from repairing broken templates databases. However, it may be useful in constrained environments where rewriting the templates database is expensive. -h, --help Display usage help. SEE ALSO
debconf(7) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 2018-02-28 DPKG-RECONFIGURE(8)