Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Count number of compressed files in a tar.gz archive Post 302344241 by amitranjansahu on Saturday 15th of August 2009 11:18:32 AM
Old 08-15-2009
use tar -vft tarfile to see the content and size of the file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with .Z files

Hello, I have a tar archive full of compressed .Z (compressed with the compress command) files. I have restored the tar to a disk but am looking for a way to uncompress every file in every sub-directory. Under normal circumstances, I would just change directories and "uncompress *" but with 1600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kun2112
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

deleting files after the creation of a tar archive

Hi, I would modify to delete the files after creating the tar archive. How I can modify the following command: tar -cvvf logswitch.tar `find *.log* -mtime +5` It create a tar with files that are older than 5 days. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff on compressed files with tar.gz ext

how can I find out what is the difference between two tar.gz files without uncompressing them. thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with including specific patern files

Hi, I need to create recursive tar archive, while I put there only files of type a*.txt. Without file filtering the command is: tar cfzf test.tar.gz test_tar/ How I include the switch for including only files with pattern a*.txt ? Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john.gelburg
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Update compressed archive (TAR)

Is it possible to update a file in a compressed archive.tgz using the tar app without uncompressing/extracting, update and compressing/creating ? tar -uvzf archive.tgz ./file.txt tar: Cannot update compressed archives Try `tar --help' for more information. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brendan76
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files count mismatch when used with Tar with find

Hi I have used the below steps and found some discrepancies step 1 : find ./ -type f -mtime +7 -name "*.00*" | wc -l = 13519 ( total files ) ( the size of this files is appx : 10GB ) step 2: find ./ -type f -mtime +7 -name "*.00*" | xargs tar zcvf Archieve_7.tar.gz step... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove files from tar archive which are more than 1000 days old.

I am not able to extract/remove files older than 1000 days from a tar archive in linux system. #!/usr/bin/perl @file_list = `find /home/x/tmp/ -name *xxMsg* -ctime +7`; $file_name = '/home/x/tmp/new_archive.tar'; for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DannyV
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with number of files in a tar archive

I cant seem to work out how to count the number of executable files in a particular tar archive? Only in a directory as a whole. I also cant work out how to count number of certain file types in a tar archive. Only the directory, pretty stuck :( (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Razor147
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to download compressed archive zips in bulky automatically using wget?

How to download in bulky compressed (zip, 7z, bzip, xz, etc) archive files from a repository automatically by use of wget ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
3 Replies
ARCHIVE_WRITE_FILTER(3) 				   BSD Library Functions Manual 				   ARCHIVE_WRITE_FILTER(3)

NAME
archive_write_add_filter_bzip2, archive_write_add_filter_compress, archive_write_add_filter_gzip, archive_write_add_filter_lzip, archive_write_add_filter_lzma, archive_write_add_filter_none, archive_write_add_filter_program, archive_write_add_filter_xz LIBRARY
Streaming Archive Library (libarchive, -larchive) SYNOPSIS
#include <archive.h> int archive_write_add_filter_bzip2(struct archive *); int archive_write_add_filter_compress(struct archive *); int archive_write_add_filter_gzip(struct archive *); int archive_write_add_filter_lzip(struct archive *); int archive_write_add_filter_lzma(struct archive *); int archive_write_add_filter_none(struct archive *); int archive_write_add_filter_program(struct archive *, const char * cmd); int archive_write_add_filter_xz(struct archive *); DESCRIPTION
archive_write_add_filter_bzip2(), archive_write_add_filter_compress(), archive_write_add_filter_gzip(), archive_write_add_filter_lzip(), archive_write_add_filter_lzma(), archive_write_add_filter_xz(), The resulting archive will be compressed as specified. Note that the compressed output is always properly blocked. archive_write_add_filter_none() This is never necessary. It is provided only for backwards compatibility. archive_write_add_filter_program() The archive will be fed into the specified compression program. The output of that program is blocked and written to the client write callbacks. RETURN VALUES
These functions return ARCHIVE_OK on success, or ARCHIVE_FATAL. ERRORS
Detailed error codes and textual descriptions are available from the archive_errno() and archive_error_string() functions. SEE ALSO
tar(1), libarchive(3), archive_write(3), archive_write_format(3), archive_write_set_options(3), cpio(5), mtree(5), tar(5) BSD
February 2, 2012 BSD