Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming A question about printing error message with perror Post 302344227 by pludi on Saturday 15th of August 2009 08:23:41 AM
Old 08-15-2009
Did you read up on what perror() does?
Quote:
Originally Posted by man perror
The perror() function finds the error message corresponding to the current value of the global variable errno and writes it, followed by a newline, to the standard error file descriptor. If the argument s is non-NULL and does not point to the null character, this string is prepended to the message string and separated from it by a colon and space (": "); otherwise, only the error message string is printed.
Since neither you nor any other function set errno, it's probably defaulted to zero, which means success.

If you want to output any error messages that stem from logical errors, I'd suggest writing them to stderr via fprintf.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

“Ostream” object is not printing message on HP-UNIX for debug mode

The following C++ code segment is not working in debug mode build on HP-UNIX machine. It is not printing "Hello World" message on the screen. While it is working fine in release mode build. ============================================== class KLogStreamBuf : public streambuf { public:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: heena
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Error message printing to Windows on port 515

Hello, We have an application which runs on Windows 2000 that responds to prrint requests by anyone using RFC1179 protocol on port 515. We are getting an error message when submitting print requests from Sun Solaris 9. "Windows 2000 LPD Server Error: Specified printer does not exist"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pauls
0 Replies

3. Programming

does perror() set errno?

here the program gives a odd result: #include <stdio.h> int main(){ perror("first"); perror("next"); return 0; } result: first: Success next: Illegal seek why? any resonable explanation? i found no information about this in man pages. thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ebd
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script, why isn't if printing message?

Why isn't printing message? 1 #!/bin/sh 2 3 something(){ 4 echo "Inside something" 5 echo $1 $2 6 } 7 val=$(something "Hello " "world") But it prints. 1 #!/bin/sh 2 3 something(){ 4 echo "Inside something" 5 echo $1 $2 6 } 7... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
4 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Message Editor question

Hia, this is a very low priority request, but I am slightly annoyed by the behaviour of the tags in the message editor. They behave assymetric in the sense that the opening tag is introducing an empty line, and the closing tag is not, and can't be convinced to do otherwise. I know I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andre_Merzky
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perror with signals

I have following problem with this code.. First time trough the main loop..... perror gives ....blocked signal:success(all other times gives illlegal seek) Should every time trought the main loop be success?? And the perror otside of main loop...didn't change mask:success That line of code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
2 Replies

7. Programming

help with C programming, perror

i am trying to use the perror function: something like perror("WRONG!!!"); but when i see the message in the terminal, it comes out like WRONG!!! : Success How can i change it to WRONG!!! : WRONG!!! well i just want to have my own custom message for the part after the colon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing all lines before a specific string and a custom message 2 lines after

Hello all, I need to print all the lines before a specific string and print a custom message 2 lines after that. So far I have managed to print everything up the string, inclusively, but I can't figure out how to print the 2 lines after that and the custom message. My code thus far is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SEinT
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a message in file without opening it in perl

Hello friends, i have a perl script as below ... for (0 ..$#values) { ##want to print some message here in Report.txt file print `find /abc/xyz/pqr/$values" -type f -ls` >> Report.txt } I am able to get output of print `find /abc/xyz/pqr/$values" -type f -ls` >> Report.txt in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Display Message Question

I'm have a script that I am creating and I want the dmesg command to only show output for the current day and the day before. What would be the command to make this work? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MattyJ2009
8 Replies
perror(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 perror(3)

NAME
perror - Writes a message explaining the current setting of errno LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.a, libc.so) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> void perror( const char *string); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: perror(): ISO C, POSIX.1, XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to a string containing the name of the program that caused the error. DESCRIPTION
The perror() function writes a message on the standard error stream that describes the current setting of the external variable errno. The error message includes the string pointed to by the string parameter, followed by a : (colon), a blank, the system message string, and a newline character. The string parameter string should point to the name of the program that caused the error. To get the system error message string for use by a program, as opposed to displaying it on standard error, use the strerror() function. For more information, see strerror(3). RELATED INFORMATION
Routines: printf(3), strerror(3) Standards: standards(5) delim off perror(3)