Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep/sed/awk a value between 2 " Post 302344182 by unclecameron on Friday 14th of August 2009 08:54:26 PM
Old 08-14-2009
grep/sed/awk a value between 2 "

I have a log file where I'm trying to grep/awk/sed the value between the set of quotes following VALUE="somevalue" in somefile and > it to someotherfile, so take a line like
Code:
<NODE NAME="OS Version" VALUE="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) (5.1.2600)" TR="N=4102" />

and output

Microsoft Windows XP...

so I'm trying to read in each line in the file like this
Code:
c=$(cat somefile)
    for i in $c
    do
        grep someregex > someotherfile
    done

but I'm stuck there.

Last edited by unclecameron; 08-14-2009 at 10:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -laR | grep "^-" | awk '{print $9}'| grep "$.txt"

Hi, I don't know hot to make this command work: ls -laR | grep "^-" | awk '{print $9}'| grep "$.txt" It should return the list of file .txt It's important to search .txt at the end of the line, becouse some file name have "txt" in their name but have other extensions (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else

Hi Guys, I need to set the value of $7 to zero in case $7 is NULL. I've tried the below command but doesn't work. Any ideas. thanks guys. MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else { print $7}}' ` Harby. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep '\~' b | awk '{print $1","$3}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

Hi all, grep '\~' b | awk '{print $1","$3}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Iam using above command for some report... can this be done using any one of them either sed or awk or grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to change the file with "sed" and "awk"

Hi experts I want your help to change the file format to my wanted version, please give me a hand thanks $cat file install pass make os pass make build kernel failed usb storage pass chane to | *install* | *make os* | *make build kernel* | *usb storage* | | pass | pass... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplify Bash Script Using "sed" Or "awk"

Input file: 2 aux003.net3.com error12 6 awn0117.net1.com error13 84 aux008 error14 29 aux001.ha.ux.isd.com error12 209 aux002.vm.ux.isd.com error34 21 alx0027.vm.net2.com error12 227 dux001.net5.com error123 22 us008.dot.net2.com error121 13 us009.net2.com error129Expected Output: 2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sQew
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Suggestion: adding two new groups "sed" and "awk"

Majority of the questions are pertaining file/string parsing w.r.t sed or awk It would be nice to have these two as their own sub category under shell-programming-scripting which can avoid lot of duplicate posts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jville
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk,sed : change every 2nd field ":" to "|"

Hi Experts, I have a string with colon delimited, want 2nd colon to be changed to a pipe. data: 101:8:43:4:72:14:41:69:85:3:137:4:3:0:4:0:9:3:0:3:12:3: I am trying with sed, but can change only 1 occurance: echo "101:8:43:4:72:14:41:69:85:3:137:4:3:0:4:0:9:3:0:3:12:3:" | sed 's/:/|/2'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)