Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash replacement to getchar
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash replacement to getchar Post 302343793 by Asafe on Thursday 13th of August 2009 03:43:06 PM
Old 08-13-2009
Code:
echo -n "Press key:"
stty -echo raw
c=$(dd bs=1 count=1 2>/dev/null )
stty echo -raw
echo " key:$c"

It interpreters ctrl-c and ctrl-d literally... Is there a way to make it to be aborted by a signal?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getchar()

hey everyone! got another problem here. how would i use the getchar() in a prompt: Press any key to continue the way i did it was to define a char variable named ch and then wrotechar ch ... ch = getchar(); printf("Press any key to continue"); getchar():if you press enter it exits, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding Replacement

I have two files: file1: somedata <html> <head> This is sample statement ...... ...... </head> </html> somedata file2: olga 81 91 B A rene 82 92 B A zack 83 93 Expextd Result: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajx
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string replacement - how to use regex?

Hello I have a bash script where I need to do a substring replacement like this: variable2=${variable1/foo/bar} However, I only want "foo" replaced if it is at the end of the line. However, this does not work: variable2=${variable1/foo$/bar} as you can see I'm using the $ regex for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ubuntu-UK
2 Replies

4. Programming

How to skip getchar in C?

Hi, I would like to read an input from keyboard using getchar. However, if no input (No Carriage return/new line none whatsoever) is given after say, 5 seconds, I would like to skip the getchar and move on. How do I do this in C. I'm using GNU compiler set. Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cprogdude
5 Replies

5. Programming

Help on getchar

I wanted to make a simple program that writes chracters in a file but i didnt want to press enter .So i found the getchar which doesnt need enter.If i pass (int) getchar to putc ,in the file it shows a P character.The (int) getchar says it is equal to1734747216 so i do (int) getchar-1734747216... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fireblast
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacement

my filename.txt looks like this: 2079951061790 SCK0000891539000000000000021600R 2079951061790 SCK0000901487000000000000028900R 2079951061790 SCK0000903092000000000000021300R 2079951074758 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
9 Replies

7. Programming

How to kill disowned process which calls getchar() in code

Hi, What happens to process state when getchar() is called? I wrote a C code in which I call getchar() somewhere down the road. I forgot about that, I started the process, put it in bg and disowned it using "disown". Now, how do I see where that process has gone/how do kill it? Thanks, Amrut (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 17amrut29
1 Replies

8. Programming

What is the difference between printf and putchar() or scanf and getchar() ?

Im a newbie to programming language, i found tat there r these function called printf and putchar() as well as scanf and getchar(), im curious abt why do dey hav these 2 different function although dey r doing the same instruction? :confused: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris26
13 Replies

9. Programming

Resample time series data with replacement any way to do this in awk or just bash script

I have some time series data that I need to resample or downsample at some specific time intervals. The firs column is time in decimal hours. I am tryiong to resample this data every 3 minutse. So I need a data value ever 0.05. Here is the example data and as you can see, there time slot for 0.1500... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malandisa
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk/bash one liner replacement for a if condition

Hi. I wrote this small bash script, i want to compare second column from file1 with file2 if a pattern matches. Files are small and I am sure that pattern occurs only once. I think this can be rewritten into a awk one liner. Appreciate if someone could give me idea. Whole NR FNR confuse me :o ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
6 Replies
GETC(3) 						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						   GETC(3)

NAME
fgetc, getc, getc_unlocked, getchar, getchar_unlocked, getw -- get next character or word from input stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int fgetc(FILE *stream); int getc(FILE *stream); int getc_unlocked(FILE *stream); int getchar(void); int getchar_unlocked(void); int getw(FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The fgetc() function obtains the next input character (if present) from the stream pointed at by stream, or the next character pushed back on the stream via ungetc(3). The getc() function acts essentially identically to fgetc(), but is a macro that expands in-line. The getchar() function is equivalent to getc(stdin). The getw() function obtains the next int (if present) from the stream pointed at by stream. The getc_unlocked() and getchar_unlocked() functions are equivalent to getc() and getchar() respectively, except that the caller is responsi- ble for locking the stream with flockfile(3) before calling them. These functions may be used to avoid the overhead of locking the stream for each character, and to avoid input being dispersed among multiple threads reading from the same stream. RETURN VALUES
If successful, these routines return the next requested object from the stream. Character values are returned as an unsigned char converted to an int. If the stream is at end-of-file or a read error occurs, the routines return EOF. The routines feof(3) and ferror(3) must be used to distinguish between end-of-file and error. If an error occurs, the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. The end-of-file condition is remembered, even on a terminal, and all subsequent attempts to read will return EOF until the condition is cleared with clearerr(3). SEE ALSO
ferror(3), flockfile(3), fopen(3), fread(3), getwc(3), putc(3), ungetc(3) STANDARDS
The fgetc(), getc(), and getchar() functions conform to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). The getc_unlocked() and getchar_unlocked() func- tions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BUGS
Since EOF is a valid integer value, feof(3) and ferror(3) must be used to check for failure after calling getw(). The size and byte order of an int varies from one machine to another, and getw() is not recommended for portable applications. BSD
January 10, 2003 BSD