Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: parsing(xml) using nawk/awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parsing(xml) using nawk/awk Post 302343568 by natalie23 on Thursday 13th of August 2009 02:07:12 AM
Old 08-13-2009
parsing(xml) using nawk/awk

Hi ,

I have an xml format as shown below:
<Info>
<last name="sean" first name="john"/>
<period="5" time="11"/>
<test value="1",test2 value="2",test3 value="3",test4 value="5">
<old>
<value1>1</value1>
<value2>2</value2>
</old>
<new>
<value1>4</value1>
<value2>3</value2>
</new>
<total>12</total>
</Info>
<Info>
<last name="sean" first name="micheal"/>
<period="10" time="20"/>
<test value="7",test2 value="8",test3 value="9",test4 value="10">
<old>
<value1>8</value1>
<value2>7</value2>
</old>
<new>
<value1>6</value1>
<value2>5</value2>
</new>
<total>20</total>
</Info>

output that i need is:
firstname,period,time,test_value,test3_value,test4_value,old_value1,old_value2,new_value1, new_value2,total
john,5,11,1,3,4,1,2,4,3,12
micheal,7,9,10,8,7,6,5,20

I just now how to parse <total>20</total> by using this
nawk 'BEGIN{FS="[<|>]"}
/<total>/ {printf(" %s\n"$3)}'

However, i do have have any ides on how to parse the rest of the file.

Anyone can know about that?

Your help is highly appreciated.
Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing XML dynamic data via awk?

I am trying to use a line of output in an XML file as input in another new XML file for processing purposes via a shell script. Since I am a newbie though, I'm not sure how to do this since the data is different everytime. I am using this technique with static data right now: echo -n "Running... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: corwin43
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing xml with awk/sed

Hi people!, I need extract from the file (test-file.txt) the values between <context> and </context> tag's , the total are 7 lines,but i can only get 5 or 2 lines!!:confused: Please look my code: #awk '/context/{flag=1} /\/context/{flag=0} !/context/{ if (flag==1) p rint $0; }'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricgamch
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing xml using awk - more help needed

As per another thread - https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/81027-how-can-i-parse-xml-file-2.html I am using the following to extract the Subaccid and RecAccTotal from the xm file below awk -v v=SubaccId -F'' '$2==v{s=$3;getline;a+=$3}END {for (i in a)print v,i,a}' file Can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing xml using awk

hello , i am trying to parse xml using awk however its a little bit tricky as i want <databases> <source> <host>prod</host> <port>1522</port> <tns>GP1</tns> <user>P11</user>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to parse the file in xml format using awk/nawk

Hi All, I have an xml file with the below format. <a>111</a><b>222</b><c>333<c><d><e>123</e><f>234</f><d><e>456</e><f>789</f> output needed is 111,222,333,123,234 111,222,333,456,789 nawk 'BEGIN{FS="<|>"} {print a,b,c,e,f a="" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in parsing xml file (sed/nawk)

I have a large xml file as shown below: <input> <blah> <blah> <atr="blah blah value = ""> <blah> <blah> </input> ..2nd chunk... ..3rd chunk... ...4th chunk... All lines between <input> and </input> is one 'order' and this 'order' is repeated... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for parsing large XML with awk.

My XML structure looks like: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <SearchRepository> <SearchItems> <SearchItem> ... </SearchItem> <SearchItem> ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jasonjustice
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing using nawk help needed

i need one help, below is one more xml file with diff pattern i tried it but dint get it , iam sure its a peice of cake for you guys. <xn:MeContext id="LSVLKY001"> <xn:ManagedElement id="1"> <un:RncFunction id="1"> <un:UtranCell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

xml parsing with awk

hi all.. need your help again.. i have xml file and i want to parsing some data from the xml file.. <ex-name="keroco"> <................> <................> <................> <br-name="cincai"> <ship="123456"> <...................> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buncit8
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML Parsing using awk

Hi All, I have a problem to resolve. For following XML file, I need to parse the values based on Tag Name. I would prefer to use this by awk. I have used sed command to replace the tags (s/<SeqNo>//). In this case there can be new tags introduced. So need to parse it based on Tag Name. Any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tons
9 Replies
STAG-AUTOSCHEMA(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       STAG-AUTOSCHEMA(1p)

NAME
stag-autoschema - writes the implicit stag-schema for a stag file SYNOPSIS
stag-autoschema -w sxpr sample-data.xml stag-autoschema -dtd sample-data.xml DESCRIPTION
Takes a stag compatible file (xml, sxpr, itext), or a file in any format plus a parser, and writes out the implicit underlying stag-schema stag-schema should look relatively self-explanatory. Here is an example stag-schema, shown in sxpr syntax: (db (person* (name "s" (address+ (address_type "s") (street "s") (street2? "s") (city "s") (zip? "s"))))) The database db contains zero or more persons, each person has a mandatory name and at least one address. The cardinality mnemonics are as follows: + 1 or more ? 0 or one * 0 or more The default cardinality is 1 ARGUMENTS
-p|parser FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module xml assumed as default -dtd exports schema as DTD -w|writer FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module, OR DTD The default is sxpr note that stag schemas exported as xml will be invalid xml, due to the use of symbols *, +, ? in the node names LIMITATIONS
not event based - memory usage becomes exhorbitant on large files; prepare a small sample beforehand perl v5.10.0 2008-12-23 STAG-AUTOSCHEMA(1p)