Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers determine total memory used by some user/process Post 302343479 by Padow on Wednesday 12th of August 2009 03:10:55 PM
Old 08-12-2009
Code:
ps -u <user> -lf -o user,comm,vsz

This will provide virtual memory used per process owned by a user.

Last edited by Padow; 08-12-2009 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Added code brackets
Padow

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Total Memory/Swap Memory

I need to put a program together to determine the total, available memory and total and available swap on unix machines. I have been searching for weeks and I seem to run into dead ends. Every unix platform I look at has a different way to determine memory info. Any sugggestions or new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghe1
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to determine cpu&memory percentage usage per user

Using HP-UX v11 Need to monitor cpu and memory usage, total for system and separately for each user in command-line mode. Found out next ways to monitor total cpu usage under hp-ux: 1) vmstat, also shows free memory 2) sar -M ps -eo user,pcpu - does not work, means 'user-defined format'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hp-ux-user
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i get The total size of the process in virtual memory om GB or MB

Hello all im using the ps -ef "args vsz" | some.exe but the result is in kb , is there some kind of way or flag ( didnt found in the ps man ) to convert me this data to GB or MG in human readable format ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to accurately determine memory (RAM) information

I'm writing a shell script to display as much useful information on physical and virtual memory availability and usage as possible. I need a CLI tool to print these numbers for me. The utilities that I know to give out some statistics are the following: free top vmstat sysctl In Linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fiori_musicali
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total usage memory by user

Hi, When running top on linux redhat machine , i see that i have 16gb of memory in my machine and about 14.5gb of memory are in use: Mem: 16395780k total, 14970960k used, 1424820k free, 370264k buffers Swap: 4192956k total, 25824k used, 4167132k free, 12029400k cached How can i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Total Memory

Hi, I have a strange issue where the total memory on the server is showing low. At the moment 8 GB of memory is installed and only 3 GB is showing on the shell prompt. I am using the commands free -m and vmstat to check the memory. Please help me out in identifying the issue. With regards... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
3 Replies

8. Solaris

T5220 How to determine physical memory installed?

Hi, looking to upgrade memory on a pair of T5220's from 32GB to 64GB. Cannot determine current DIMM size and slots used. i.e. not sure if Qty 16 x 2GB or Qty 8 x 4GB. If there are no empty slots, i need to go with higher density DIMMs and retire exsisting the 2GB prtdiag follows. #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrew
3 Replies

9. AIX

Process, PID and total memory consumed on AIX.

Hi, Below is the code snippet I use on Linux (Centos) to retrieve the Process Name, PID and memory consumed on Linux (Centos) host:- top -b -n 1 | awk -v date="$tdydate" -v ip="$ip" 'NR>7 {print date","ip","$12,","$1,","$10}' Any idea how the same can be retrieved on an AIX host? This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vipin Batra
1 Replies
timex(1)							   User Commands							  timex(1)

NAME
timex - time a command; report process data and system activity SYNOPSIS
timex [-o] [-p [-fhkmrt]] [-s] command DESCRIPTION
The given command is executed; the elapsed time, user time and system time spent in execution are reported in seconds. Optionally, process accounting data for the command and all its children can be listed or summarized, and total system activity during the execution interval can be reported. The output of timex is written on standard error. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -o Report the total number of blocks read or written and total characters transferred by command and all its children. This option works only if the process accounting software is installed. -p List process accounting records for command and all its children. This option works only if the process accounting software is installed. Suboptions f, h, k, m, r, and t modify the data items reported. The options are as follows: -f Print the fork(2)/ exec(2) flag and system exit status columns in the output. -h Instead of mean memory size, show the fraction of total available CPU time consumed by the process during its execution. This ``hog factor'' is computed as (total CPU time)/(elapsed time). -k Instead of memory size, show total kcore-minutes. -m Show mean core size (the default). -r Show CPU factor (user time/(system-time + user-time)). -t Show separate system and user CPU times. The number of blocks read or written and the number of characters transferred are always reported. -s Report total system activity (not just that due to command) that occurred during the execution interval of command. All the data items listed in sar(1) are reported. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Examples of timex. A simple example: example% timex -ops sleep 60 A terminal session of arbitrary complexity can be measured by timing a sub-shell: example% timex -opskmt sh session commands EOT ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sar(1), time(1), exec(2), fork(2), times(2), attributes(5) NOTES
Process records associated with command are selected from the accounting file /var/adm/pacct by inference, since process genealogy is not available. Background processes having the same user ID, terminal ID, and execution time window will be spuriously included. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 timex(1)