Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: su to account set to NL
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users su to account set to NL Post 302343367 by bluescreen on Wednesday 12th of August 2009 09:29:35 AM
Old 08-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Never heard of a "-N" parameter to "passwd". What Operating System are you using and what does "passwd -N" do?
Sorry, I am running Solaris 10 u7 (05/09).

From passwd(1) man page:

Code:
Privileged User Options

Only a privileged user can use the following options:

-N

Makes the password entry for name a value that cannot be used for login, but does not lock the account. See the -d option for removing the value, or to set a password to allow logins.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Account to not lock account if password expires

I have access to 15+ UNIX boxes at work, and I do not consistently log onto all of them over time. When I do try to access one I havent been on in awhile, my account is locked as the password has expired. I need to request to the UNIX SA's that the password expiration is 90 days and that if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stringzz
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you set up an FTP user account?

1) How do you set up an FTP user account on a Solaris Unix box? Please show the steps (assuming I have root account access). 2) Where are the FTP user account information stored? For example: Unix user accouns are stored on /etc/passwd what about ftp user account where are they stored? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: XZOR
3 Replies

3. Linux

Apply disk quota to account(dedicate 3 GB to account).

Hi , I am faceing lot of problem due to "disk space is not enough". senerio is like as, In system has 5 account. a,b,c,d,e say account c if very critical. Due to other user's data, user 'c' is faceing disk space issue. I want to dedicate 3 GB for user 'c'. No user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokd009
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Set Password Account to NP or NL

Hi Everyone, my name`s Sergio. I need your help please. I have a problem using Solaris 9. I create an account with the command line "useradd", with this I have no problem. My problem is I need set the created account to NP (No Password or Non Login). For example: cat /etc/shadow ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roswell
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Set account to NOT autounlock following login attempt failures

Well, my title pretty much says it. How do I "Set account to NOT autounlock following login attempt failures"? I've configured /etc/default/passwd to my organization's security policy but I have yet to work out how to set the account to stay locked after the user fails to authenticate a few times.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
2 Replies

6. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Simultaneously try to execute commands after connecting to remote account to one account

I have made password less connection to my remote account. and i tried to execute commands at a time. but i am unable to execute the commands. ssh $ACCOUNT_DETAILS@$HOST_DETAILS cd ~/JEE/*/logs/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kishored005
1 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

What happens to your skype account if you close outlook.com email account?

Hello, Does anyone know what happens to your skype account if you close the outlook.com email account which are linked together? As you know they are both owned by Microsoft. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
0 Replies
NEWGRP(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp - log in to a new group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp command is used to change the current group ID during a login session. If the optional - flag is given, the user's environment will be reinitialized as though the user had logged in, otherwise the current environment, including current working directory, remains unchanged. newgrp changes the current real group ID to the named group, or to the default group listed in /etc/passwd if no group name is given. newgrp also tries to add the group to the user groupset. If not root, the user will be prompted for a password if she does not have a password (in /etc/shadow if this user has an entry in the shadowed password file, or in /etc/passwd otherwise) and the group does, or if the user is not listed as a member and the group has a password. The user will be denied access if the group password is empty and the user is not listed as a member. If there is an entry for this group in /etc/gshadow, then the list of members and the password of this group will be taken from this file, otherwise, the entry in /etc/group is considered. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SYSLOG_SG_ENAB (boolean) Enable "syslog" logging of sg activity. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
id(1), login(1), su(1), sg(1), gpasswd(1), group(5), gshadow(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 NEWGRP(1)