Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Number of files - in start of year Post 302343169 by rajwinder on Tuesday 11th of August 2009 10:44:16 PM
Old 08-11-2009
Number of files - in start of year

Is there any way to find "Number of files" that exists on my solaris parition in the starting of 2009 year ?

I know ctime or mtime will not help and unix wouldnt store creation time.

Only hope i can see ( and i am not sure if that will help ) is that my system is up from last 2 years without reboot so any place in /proc where i can find this or any other idea ?

- Rajwinder Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append value(batch number) to start of records

Hi all, I am new to unix shell scripting and I am trying to append batch number that comes in Trailer record to the detailed record. TR|20080312|22881 |000000005|20080319|2202 LN|20080312|077777722220 |0000100000017|ABS LN|20080312|000799439326 |0000709943937|AA TR|20080313|22897 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_418
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count the number of lines that start with the number

I have a file with contents similar to this. abcd 1234 4567 7666 jdjdjd 89289 9382 92 jksdj 9823 298 I want to write a shell script which count the number of lines that start with the number (disregard the lines starting with alphabets) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grajp002
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

start line numbering with arbitrary number?

Hi, I want to do the following: Extract some lines from different files and copy them into one file, with the first column being the line number. I do this with cat file1 file2 file3 |grep 'xxx' |nl > output.file Works fine. But if I want to add data of interest from a fourth file to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paracetamol
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

The difference between end number in the early row and the start number in the next

Hi Power User, I'm trying to compute this kind of text file format: file1: jakarta 100 150 jakarta 170 210 beijing 220 250 beijing 260 280 beijing 290 320 new_york 330 350 new_york 370 420 tokyo 430 470 tokyo 480 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjas
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate the total number of weeks from a specify year?

Hi anyone can help? How to calculate total number of weeks from a specify date, for example, 01 Jan 2012. Thx! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayray2013
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files using year

Hi All, how can i delete files from my Unix directory on the basis of year, i have files from 2001 to till 2014, but from their, i have to delete only 2013 file.Below is my file name rwxrwxrwx 1 guopt users 5169 Jul 12 00:30 grt592_20130712003000.SAP Thanks Kki (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kki
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two year files

Hi All, I need to merge few files as belowABC_NYFWFX.txt ABC_NYFQTFX.txt ABC_NYFMAFX.txt ABC_NYFAVFX.txt ABC_CYFWFX.txt ABC_CYFQTFX.txt ABC_CYFMAFX.txt ABC_CYFAVFX.txt ABC_CYBWFX.txt ABC_NYFWFX.txt & ABC_CYFWFX.txt should be merged into a single file and name should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Best way to increment weeks based on fiscal start year

Hi Folks - I'm looking for the best way to to increment fiscal weeks - allow me to explain. At my one client, 10/01/17 was the beginning if year fiscal year 2018. Each week, I need to manage a unique set of variable that are updated in my application - they are called substitution variables.... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
31 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start process on X number of files and then wait for the next batch

Thanks for RudiC for his extraordinary help on organizing files in a batch of 10 using below code. FL=($(ls)); for ((i=0;i<=${#FL};i++)); do for j in ${FL:$i:10}; do $batch ${j} ${j}.txt done; echo "Pausing for next iteration"; echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
6 Replies
HALT(8) 						Linux System Administrator's Manual						   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, reboot, poweroff - stop the system. SYNOPSIS
/sbin/halt [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-p] [-h] /sbin/reboot [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] /sbin/poweroff [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-h] DESCRIPTION
Halt notes that the system is being brought down in the file /var/log/wtmp, and then either tells the kernel to halt, reboot or power-off the system. If halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6, in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked instead (with the -h or -r flag). For more info see the shutdown(8) manpage. The rest of this manpage describes the behaviour in runlevels 0 and 6, that is when the systems shutdown scripts are being run. OPTIONS
-n Don't sync before reboot or halt. Note that the kernel and storage drivers may still sync. -w Don't actually reboot or halt but only write the wtmp record (in the /var/log/wtmp file). -d Don't write the wtmp record. The -n flag implies -d. -f Force halt or reboot, don't call shutdown(8). -i Shut down all network interfaces just before halt or reboot. -h Put all hard drives on the system in stand-by mode just before halt or power-off. -p When halting the system, switch off the power. This is the default when halt is called as poweroff. DIAGNOSTICS
If you're not the superuser, you will get the message `must be superuser'. NOTES
Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be called directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or reboot cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when /var/run/utmp hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which might not be what you want. Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard halt or reboot. The -h flag puts all hard disks in standby mode just before halt or power-off. Right now this is only implemented for IDE drives. A side effect of putting the drive in stand-by mode is that the write cache on the disk is flushed. This is important for IDE drives, since the kernel doesn't flush the write cache itself before power-off. The halt program uses /proc/ide/hd* to find all IDE disk devices, which means that /proc needs to be mounted when halt or poweroff is called or the -h switch will do nothing. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8) Nov 6, 2001 HALT(8)