Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian error running firefox.desktop file Post 302342931 by Leppie on Tuesday 11th of August 2009 05:30:50 AM
Old 08-11-2009
please be more careful when providing the information. when people are trying to help you, it's difficult to find the solution if you provide the wrong info.
you first wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesD1
The firefox is installed under /usr/bin/firefox/

The symlink done was:
ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
you then posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesD1
The symlink is correct since I downloaded and installed the Firefox under /usr/lib/firefox/ according to the orders I read somewhere.
these statements clearly contradict each other. then you also you the instructions for the firefox.desktop file as the actual firefox.desktop file you were using. obviously things don't work out if people post the instructions they were supposed to follow instead of posting the actions they performed.
when trying to obtain help, post your own configurations, findings, output, etc. as we all can get the instructions of the internet.

anyways, i'm happy you found the problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Running Applications on my desktop?.....

Hello, I am running MAC OS X PANTHER I was wandering if anyone knew how to make the desired applications run on my desktop? I know how to do this if I make my own apps. using Realbasic, but what if I want to run CPU monitor, calender, CPU temperature, etc...? I know there has to be a way to do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: adamcb
8 Replies

2. Programming

Error while running C++ make file

The problem is that the original program was compiled using v5.0 MQ client but now we are using MQ client v5.3. Had modified the "make file" options as follows but still i could see the errors. #CLIENT_V5_LIBS = -limqb23ss -limqc23ss -lmqic -lmqmcs -lnsl -ldl CLIENT_V5.3_LIBS =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hram
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

error running sqlplus from shell file

I am running a shell file following script on bash shell in solaris 10 ( echo abc@orcl echo abc echo "set feedback off" echo "truncate table SIndexDataTypeHst1_changes;" ) | sqlplus -s but getting the following error ERROR: ORA-01005: null password given; logon denied ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmunir
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

running localhost:8080 on firefox gives error .

I have copied a simple.xml file into the folder /var/www/html and trying to access it on the brower by giving the command "http://localhost:8080/simple.xml" but it gives "Connection Failed " Error . While if i type "http://localhost/" It dispays the contents of the index.html file in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhumathikv
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

UBUNTU 8.1 Desktop Edition not running after installation

I am a new Ubuntu user, installing Ubuntu on Windows XP . The installation process is successful but after installing when I login , it just freezes with a blank screen for both XClient scripts and GNOME sessions. I have given 10 GB space to the installation. Also i noticed that the time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: singla
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error running a .sh script when extracted from a jar file.

I am trying to run a script called install.sh as follows: I get a jar file, and extract it using the command: unzip filename.jar -D path/to/files then I navigate to that directory where I extracted the files, and run the command: sh install.sh (where install.sh is one of the files... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: albert_newton
12 Replies

7. Slackware

I/O Error on starting firefox

I was trying to open the port for my ftp end also I´ve triedto start firefox and so i received the following error: Input / Output Error. When i try to start that one in console i receive the following: No Protocol Especified No Protocol Especified Error: Cannot open display: :0,0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darkpirate
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Library file error while running command

I am running a command in Solaris non-global zone and it is complaining for a library file, while that is already preset in server. mwcontrol: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/openwin/lib/locale/common/xlibi18n.so.2: symbol _XlcAddUtf8Converters: referenced symbol not found # ls -l... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
15 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Firefox is already running, but is not responding.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am logging in as a regular user, whose home directory is being mounted from nfs server. When I tried to open a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankur Goyal
8 Replies

10. AIX

Error when running .sh file in AIX platform

Hi, I am trying to open Oracle Warehouse Builder (10g) Design Center in AIX platform using the command ./OWBClient.sh. When I execute, I am getting the below error. The JVM option is invalid: -XX: MaxPermSize=256M. Could not create the Java Virtual Machine. Any resolution guidance for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: becky123
4 Replies
gnome-background-properties(1)					   User Commands				    gnome-background-properties(1)

NAME
gnome-background-properties - customize your desktop background SYNOPSIS
gnome-background-properties [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
The Background preferences tool allows you to customize the desktop background. The desktop background is the part of the desktop where there are no interface graphical items, such as panels and windows. The desktop background is always beneath the other interface items. You can customize the desktop background in the following ways: o Select an image to display on the desktop background. The image is superimposed on the desktop background color. The desktop back- ground color is visible if you select a transparent image or if the image does not cover the entire desktop background. o Select a color for the desktop background. You can select a solid color, or create a gradient effect with two colors. A gradient effect is a visual effect where one color blends gradually into another color. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching the background preference tool example% gnome-background-properties EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-backgrounExecutableefor Background preferences tool ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-desktop-preferences | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Preference Tools Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gnome-control-center(1), gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 2 Oct 2003 gnome-background-properties(1)