Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ascii code
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ascii code Post 302342805 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 10th of August 2009 08:03:26 PM
Old 08-10-2009
A couple of other higher-ascii tricks to add to the excellent suggestions above;
  • ls -b Converts unprintable (or weirdly printed) characters in filenames into octal
  • cat -vet Displays a file with all characters displayed (also useful for finding things like carriage returns added to the normal unix line feeds a-la Windows, or page breaks)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ascii for EOF ???

Could someone please post the ascii code for End Of File Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: strpeski
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ascii

a silly question but is there a way to display individual ascii values say if i type 65 it will display the letter instead? thanks fo any help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melkor
3 Replies

3. Linux

source code ASCII to HEx

Is there are any source code in ANSI C to convert ASCII to Hexa decimal. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thippeswamy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

code ASCII for Caracter -->> '

I'm a question: the expresiion 'expr $a +1' use the caracter --> ' (is not shift+ ? !!!) what is the code ascii for generate this caracter ?????? tank's (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Conversion from ASCII to binary for physical simulation code in C/C++

Good evening, everybody A good math friend told me that it would be possible to shrink the size of the numerical datas I produce with a physical simulation code I programmed for my PhD. It usually writes at least 100 GB to complete the simulation, and it seems that it is too high. There are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cybertib
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort -t option causing code to fail need ASCII character

Hello, When I run this UNIX code without the -t option it gives me the desired results. The code keeps the record with the greatest datetime based on the key columns. I sort it first then sort it again with the -u option, that's it. I need to have a variable to specify an ASCII character... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - binary data to ascii code

Hello, With bash-script (ubunto server) I'm trying to read a binary file and, for each character, give back its ascii code (including extended ascii). For example: HEX => ASCII => PRINT f5 => 245 => õ 50 => 80 => P To load the binary file into a variable I tried in this way: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: math4
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating data delimited by ASCII code 1

<Any suggestion how to create a file where the values are separated by ASCII code 1,with data extracted from a table using shell script The format is :/> <columnname1(binary1)columnvalue(binary1)columnname2(binary1)columnvalue(binary1)columnname3(binary1)columnvalue... 1st row/>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dasun
6 Replies
FC-LIST(1)																FC-LIST(1)

NAME
fc-list - list available fonts SYNOPSIS
fc-list [ -vVh ] [ --verbose ] [ [ -f format ] [ --format format ] ] [ [ -q ] [ --quiet ] ] [ --version ] [ --help ] [ pattern [ element... ] ] DESCRIPTION
fc-list lists fonts and styles available on the system for applications using fontconfig. If any elements are specified, only those are printed. Otherwise family and style are printed, unless verbose output is requested. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -v Print verbose output of the whole font pattern for each match, or elements if any is provided. -f Format output according to the format specifier format. -q Suppress all normal output. returns 1 as the error code if no fonts matched. -V Show version of the program and exit. -h Show summary of options. pattern If this argument is set, only fonts matching pattern are displayed. element If set, the element property is displayed for matching fonts. EXAMPLES
fc-list Lists all font faces. fc-list :lang=hi Lists font faces that cover Hindi. fc-list : family style file spacing Lists the filename and spacing value for each font face. ``:'' is an empty pattern that matches all fonts. SEE ALSO
fc-match(1) FcFontList(3) FcPatternFormat(3) fc-cat(1) fc-cache(1) fc-pattern(1) fc-query(1) fc-scan(1) The fontconfig user's guide, in HTML format: /usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com> and Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>. Aug 13, 2008 FC-LIST(1)