Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers send output of a file as input for changing date Post 302342782 by jim mcnamara on Monday 10th of August 2009 06:11:06 PM
Old 08-10-2009
First off, do you have GNU date - (are you on Linux for example)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Changing stdin from file redirection to console input

Hi I am doing file redirection at console for use by my binary. %console%> bin &lt inputfile After reading in the entire file, I want my program to continue taking input from the console. So essentially I want to redirect stdin back to console. But I cant figure out how to do it. I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nauman
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Creation Date to a Prespecified Date of a File In Unix

Dear Expert, Is there a command to do that in Unix? In such a way that we don't need to actually "write" or modified the content. -- monkfan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying a file without changing date stamp.

Hi, I am using the below copy command, to copy the file sbn to sbn1, cp sbn sbn1 but its changing the date stamp of file sbn1, but i dont want to change the date stamp of sbn1. Could you please help me out in this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivanete
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send output of grep as input of kill command

I would appreciate any help. I need to run 'ps -ef | grep 'process', get the process id and kill that process. I have got this far: - Get pid using ps -ef | awk '/process/{ print $2}' after this I'm kind of stuck.. - Use pipe to redirect the output to kill pid=ps -ef | awk '/bmserver/{... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: foxtron
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Multiple files by reading a input file and changing the contents

Being new to this area .I have been assigned a task which i am unable to do . Can any one please help me . Hi I have requirement where i have input file XYZ_111_999_YYYYMMDD_1.TXT and with header and series of Numbers and Footer. I want to create a mutiple output files with each file having a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargavkr
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help changing date output with AWK

Hello all, I have an issue where I'm trying to change a date in a csv text file. The file contains lines that have several fields. For example "John", "Smith","some_address","some_city","555-555-5555","11/11/1972" "Joan","User","some_address","some_city","444-444-4444","12/02/1963" The date... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: commobox
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

accepting input then send to file

basically im trying to promt the user to create a name for a file then send the file name to a file with the list of the file names he has created. Also i want to code if the user doesnt enter any text to just print "Default Folder" so far my code looks like: if then echo "create `$1`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bravens52
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing date to resemble "messages file" date

the following was taken from a perl script: my $date = strftime "%B %d %H:%M:%S", localtime; how can i modify it so this date outputs the date in the form of the date of the messages file. for example: Sep 20 11:48:44 As it is right now, the perl script outputs the date like this: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameter file with changing date

Hi, I have a trigger file which looks like this abcdefgh_YYYYMMDD.trg The YYYYMMDD is the year, month and the date. So for example today the trigger file would be abcdefgh_20130703.trg similarly tomorrow it would be abcdefgh_20130704.trg I need to write a script to check if the trigger file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: halfafringe
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)