Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Non-root user access to privileged ports-Solaris 8 Post 302342668 by pingmeback on Monday 10th of August 2009 11:39:43 AM
Old 08-10-2009
Non-root user access to privileged ports-Solaris 8

Please let me know how to setup a non-root user to be able to access a privileged port (<1024) on Solaris 8. I am currently running tomcat as "tomcat" user and I get the following error during to start up:
Code:
SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint
java.net.BindException: Permission denied<null>:443

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Allowing access to ports < 1024 w/o root

I need to set up an application to run in a script which will be running as a web server but is a database. I need to allow users to use the web server but the app must be run as root in order for the ports to be accessible. This is not a very secure environment would like to know how this could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpollard
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forgot the privileged access password in ibm pseries615c3

Hi friends, I am having ibm pseries615c3 server. previously i set privileged access password for the firmware. Now i forgot that password. Help me to reset or remove the firmware password from the server. Otherwise anyone plz help me how to change the default boot device in pseries servers. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthulingaraja
8 Replies

3. HP-UX

user commands without root access

Hi I have been asked to find out how to 1) create users 2) reset passwords 3) kill processes that may require root privileges without having root password, sudo rights or rights to passwd command Any ideas? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emealogistics
1 Replies

4. Solaris

I can not access root user through LAN

Dear i have installed Solaris 10 on SUN V240 after installation i can not access system through root user if i access system through any other user it conects but root is not connecting through LAN if i connect through SC and then access root though cosole -f command it also works kindly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizwan225
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

access user history as root

Hi, I need to access a user's command history. However, the dilemma is that he is logged in and so his current history is not yet flushed to .bash_history file which gets flushed when he logs out. Is there a way I can still access his most recent history? thank you, S (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sardare
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

7. Linux

nix User Access Restrictions to Network, USB ports, PCMCIA, CDROM

How to create a user account on a Linux desktop machine with restrictions on connecting to the LAN, WAN, PCMCIA ports, Firewire, CDROM and generally any user controllable output options? I have the task to set up a machine for users working with sensitive data that should not be leaving the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

9. AIX

How to check that rpcbind/portmap on AIX allowes updates from non privileged ports?

Hi, I am trying to implement a service on AIX based on ONCRPC protocal and I want to use a RPC library called oncrpc4j because it is a non-blocked i/o library. I found it works fine on my work machine (WIndows 7) but failed on my AIX work station. The author of oncrpc4j told me that check that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: derekhsu
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Sudo access of rm to non-root user

Hello, It is Solaris-10. There is a file as /opt/vpp/dom1.2/pdd/today_23. It is always generated by root, so owned by root only. This file has to be deleted as part of application restart always and that is done by app_user and SA is always involved to do rm on that file. Is it possible to give... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
9 Replies
BINDRESVPORT(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   BINDRESVPORT(3)

NAME
bindresvport, bindresvport_sa -- bind a socket to a privileged IP port LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <rpc/rpc.h> int bindresvport(int sd, struct sockaddr_in *sin); int bindresvport_sa(int sd, struct sockaddr *sa); DESCRIPTION
The bindresvport() and bindresvport_sa() functions are used to bind a socket descriptor to a privileged IP port, that is, a port number in the range 0-1023. If sin is a pointer to a struct sockaddr_in then the appropriate fields in the structure should be defined. Note that sin->sin_family must be initialized to the address family of the socket, passed by sd. If sin->sin_port is '0' then an anonymous port (in the range 600-1023) will be chosen, and if bind(2) is successful, the sin->sin_port will be updated to contain the allocated port. If sin is the NULL pointer, an anonymous port will be allocated (as above). However, there is no way for bindresvport() to return the allo- cated port in this case. Only root can bind to a privileged port; this call will fail for any other users. Function prototype of bindresvport() is biased to AF_INET socket. The bindresvport_sa() function acts exactly the same, with more neutral function prototype. Note that both functions behave exactly the same, and both support AF_INET6 sockets as well as AF_INET sockets. RETURN VALUES
The bindresvport() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
[EPFNOSUPPORT] If second argument was supplied, and address family did not match between arguments. The bindresvport() function may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the calls bind(2), getsockopt(2), or setsockopt(2). SEE ALSO
bind(2), getsockopt(2), setsockopt(2), ip(4) BSD
November 22, 1987 BSD