Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed usage with special characters - text manipulation Post 302342463 by TheMrOrange on Sunday 9th of August 2009 11:29:14 PM
Old 08-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by edidataguy
Understand how the given solutions works and modify to your requirement.
The above code with a little modification will meet you requirement.
Code:
cat fileIN.txt | sed 'N; s~\n/>~,,,,~' >> fileOUT.txt

this works perfectly!
I get the solution using grep for all lines not empty but your solution is much better and I'm going to use it. (thanks)

Anyway I've the last problem to solve:
even if I use your code or mine (that use grep), I always have an empty line at the end of the output-file (fileOUT.txt). The input-file (fileIN.txt) have an empty line at the end as well as the output.
Do you know how I can delete also the last empty line?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on sed replacing special characters

Hello, I have a file with many lines with below format: \abc\\1234 jkl\\567 def\\345 \pqr\\567 \xyz\\234 Here, i need to do 2 things. 1. replace \\ with \ 2. remove starting \ so output to be as below: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with special characters

Hi, I am reading a file (GC_JAR.log) which has entries like: 511725.629, 0.1122672 secs] 525268.975, 0.1240036 secs] 527181.835, 0.2068215 secs] 527914.287, 0.2884801 secs] 528457.134, 0.2548725 secs] I want to replace all the entries of "secs]" with just "secs" Thus, the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itzz.me
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with many special characters

I started with this: counter1=1 cp file.txt file_${counter1}.tmp while read name1 do echo $name1 counter2=`expr $counter1 + 1` sed /'${name1}'/d file_${counter1}.txt > file_${counter2}.txt counter1=`expr $counter1 + 1` done < source.txtsource.txt contains the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakanino
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace special characters

Hi everyone I have file1 contains: '7832' ' 8765 6543 I want a sed command that will format as: '7832' , '8765' , '6543' I tried sed -e s/\'//g -e 's/^*//;s/*$//' file1 > file2 sed -e :a -e '$!N; s/\n/ /; ta' file2 which gives: 7832 8765 6543 I need some help to continue with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED with Special characters

Hello All Seeking the right one SED command. My attempt is: From orginal.txt by SED to target.txt sed -i "/('outbound-callerid/a\$ext->add($context, $exten, '', new ext_SipAddHeader('P-Preferred-Identity', '<sip:${CALLERID(nummer)}@carrier.com>'));" orginal.txtWhat am make wrong?:wall: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdbinder
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special characters in SED

Need help in escaping special characters in sed command. Here is the the string which i am trying to find a replace with From :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID={//MESSAGE_ID} To :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID= X_EDELIVERY_MESSAGE_ID &amp; BATCH_ID= X_EDELIVERY_BATCH_ID Here is the sed command i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakishore
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed special characters issue

Hi I'm trying to replace string1 by string2 in file homepage.htm as follows but is not working. Please Help: sedsed -i "s@'://your server name:port/test/owa'@'://11.22.33.44:5555/pls/SAMPLE'@g" homepage.htm Where, String1 ://your server name:port/test/owa String2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koazter
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - remove special characters

Hi, I have a file with this line, it's always in the first line: I want to remove these special characters: ´╗┐ file1 ´╗┐\\bar\c$\test2\;3.348.118 Bytes;160 ;3 \\bar\c$\test\;35 Bytes;2 ;1 I want the same file to be only \\bar\c$\test2\;3.348.118 Bytes;160 ;3 \\bar\c$\test\;35... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed in a while loop with special characters

I have the foolowing data file: File1 <p name="A">5004</p> <p name="B">5004</p> <p name="C">5004</p> <p name="A">15004</p> <p name="B">15004</p> <p name="C">15004</p> In a while loop using sed (100 of line need to be replace), I need the output to File3:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Special Characters Within Text

Hi, I have a "|" delimited file that is exported from a database. There is one column in the file which has description/comments entered by some application user. It has "Control-M" character and "New Line" character in between the text. Hence, when i export the data, this record with the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarun.trehan
4 Replies
X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)					       Generic Mapping Tools						 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)

NAME
x2sys_merge - Merge an updated COEs tables SYNOPSIS
x2sys_merge -Amain_COElist.d -Mnew_COElist.d DESCRIPTION
x2sys_merge will read two crossovers data base and output the contents of the main one updated with the COEs in the second one. The second file should only contain updated COEs relatively to the first one. That is, it MUST NOT contain any new two tracks intersections (This point is NOT checked in the code). This program is useful when, for any good reason like file editing NAV correction or whatever, one had to recompute only the COEs between the edited files and the rest of the database. -A Specify the file main_COElist.d with the main crossover error data base. -M Specify the file new_COElist.d with the newly computed crossover error data base. OPTIONS
No space between the option flag and the associated arguments. EXAMPLES To update the main COE_data.txt with the new COEs estimations saved in the smaller COE_fresh.txt, try x2sys_merge -ACOE_data.txt -MCOE_fresh.txt > COE_updated.txt SEE ALSO
x2sys_binlist(1), x2sys_cross(1), x2sys_datalist(1), x2sys_get(1), x2sys_init(1), x2sys_list(1), x2sys_put(1), x2sys_report(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)