Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Strings does not work for big files Post 302342355 by Scott on Sunday 9th of August 2009 05:09:25 AM
Old 08-09-2009
Hi.

Instread of grep, perhaps you could use sed?

Code:
strings ..... | sed "/MAXVALUE/!d;q"

Or with grep:
Code:
strings .... | grep -m1 MAXVALUE

Alternatively select a smaller file (perhaps a redo log) which also contains the number, or choose another method as described in the article.

Last edited by Scott; 08-09-2009 at 06:59 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Archiving big ammount of files.

Hello All. I have problem archiving files. The problem is:) I have about 10000 files in one directory, all this file aproximately the same size, i need to gzip them and write on DVD. But all this files take about 15 GB of space (already gzipped). So i need DVD Blue-Ray :p or i need to split... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maxeg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Big Trouble At Work!

People are misbehaving and doing things on the network they shouldn't be while at work, and it's killing the server. So the boss wants a plan on how to deal with these issues ASAP. What i need to know is how to use iptables to filter traffic coming to a specific ip... to say "this is allowed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ShawnaB
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed of big html files

hi friends, i have to cut a large html file between tag " <!-- DEFACEMENTS ROWS -->" "<!-- DISCLAIMER FOOTER -->" and store cut data in other file please help me!!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshbmishra
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with really big files

Hi, I have a text file that is around 7Gb which is basically a matrix of numbers (FS is a space and RS is \n). I need the most efficient way of plucking out a number from a specified row and column in the file. For example, for the value at row 15983, col 26332, I'm currently I'm using: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jonny2Vests
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split a big file into two others files

Hello, i have a very big file that has more then 80 MBytes (100MBytes). So with my CVS Application I cannot commit this file (too Big) because it must have < 80 MBytes. How can I split this file into two others files, i think the AIX Unix command : split -b can do that, buit how is the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy Files From a big list

Requirement: When I do ls -ltr /home/data/orders I get a huge list of files, I need to copy that last 50 to another directory say /home/work/ later, I will do my ETL process and then again I need to copy from 51 to 100 and so on. What is the command to copy files specifying 1 to 50... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep -f for big files

ok guys. this isnt homework or anything. i have been using grep -f all my life but i am trying this for a huge file and it doesnt work. can someone give me a replacement for grep -f pattern file for big files? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahfze
6 Replies
RADSQLRELAY(8)						     FreeRADIUS helper program						    RADSQLRELAY(8)

NAME
radsqlrelay - relay SQL queries to a central database server SYNOPSIS
radsqlrelay [-?] [-d sql_driver] [-b database] [-f file] [-h host] [-u user] [-P port] [-p password] [-1] [-x] file_path DESCRIPTION
radsqlrelay tails a SQL logfile and forwards the queries to a database server. Used to replicate accounting records to one (central) data- base, even if the database has extended downtime. The SQL logfile is created by the rlm_sql_log module. The module must be configured in the radiusd server before you can use radsqlrelay. OPTIONS
-? Print usage help information. -d sql_driver Driver to use: mysql, pg, oracle. -b database Name of the database to use. -f file Read password from file, instead of command line. -h host Connect to host. -u user User for login. -P port Port number to use for connection. -p password Password to use when connecting to server. -1 One-shot mode: push the file to database and exit. -x Turn on debugging. file_path The pathname of the SQL logfile to use. NOTES
Oracle driver The command "radsqlrelay -d oracle -b db.domain.tld sql-relay" reads the database description stored in $TNS_ADMIN/tnsnames.ora: db.domain.tld = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = db.domain.tld)(PORT = 1521)) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = <DB SID>) ) ) SEE ALSO
rlm_sql_log(5) AUTHOR
Nicolas Baradakis <nicolas.baradakis@cegetel.net> 19 June 2005 RADSQLRELAY(8)