Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help Needed in understanding this command Post 302342226 by KenJackson on Saturday 8th of August 2009 01:06:07 AM
Old 08-08-2009
When you are looking at sed s expressions, always find the delimiters first.
Code:
s/left/right/flags

In this case left is \("[^"]*\),\([^"]*"\).
Break that further down by noticing the syntax \( ... \).
These capture text in the middle so it can be printed with \1 and \2 on the right.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help Understanding a Unix Command

Trying to install something. Can someone explain what this means? chmod -R a+r . chmod -R a+w logo.gif tempdir/ templates_c/ I recognize that file permissions are being changed (chmod), but beyond that, it's Greek to me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris86
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needed help in understanding these procedures?

Hi all, i needed some help in understanding a few procedures and how exactly is the sequence? FINISHED="Done" COLUMNS=$( stty -a | head -n 2 | cut -d " " -f2 |cut -d " " -f4 ) COLS=$((${COLUMNS} -${#FINISHED} - 5)) RET_ARR="\010" KILLLINE=${RET_ARR}${RET_ARR} for i in $(seq 1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help understanding script command

We use a UNIX-based system (Lawson) at work and I was given this command to request a data extract from the db admin. The only thing I really understand is the last line as it appears to be joining the files created from the first three lines into one. Is there anyone who can help me breakdown the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KGee
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding the sed command

Guys, I am trying to understand the sed command here. adx001 $ a=/clocal/dctrdata/user/dctrdat1/trdroot/recouncil adx001 $ b=`echo $a | sed 's/\//\\\\\//g'` adx001 $ echo $b \/clocal\/dctrdata\/user\/dctrdat1\/trdroot\/recouncil The sed command i took it from the script. Please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding the kill command

Hi Guys, I like to know if i have a process which triggers 10 different child processes. How to identify out of the 11 processes running which is the parent process and what are the child process? And if i kill the parent process will the child process be killed.. if not is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding mv command

hi i was moving a file from one directory to another with the following cmmand mv /home/hsghh/dfd/parent/file.txt . while doing so i i accidently mv /home/hsghh/dfd/dfd . although i gave ctrl c and terminate the move command some of the file are missing in the parent directory and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for understanding a function

There is a function called start: start() { echo -n $"Sending Startup Email: " echo "${RESTARTBODY}" | mutt -s "${RESTARTSUBJECT}" ${EMAIL} RETVAL=$? if ; then touch ${LOCKFILE} success else failure fi echo return ${RETVAL} } Can anyone explain what the bold part of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Understanding 'du' command

Hi I have a questions related 2 commands : 'du' and 'ls'. Why is the difference between output of 'du' and 'ls' cmd's ? Command 'du' : ------------------ jakubn@server1 /home/jakubn $ du -s * 4 engine.ksh 1331 scripts 'du -s *' ---> shows block count size on disk (512 Bytes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding sed command

Hi Friends, I need a small help in understanding the below sed command. $ cat t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init last $ sed 's/*$//' t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forroughuse
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : Need Help in Understanding a command

Hello I am working on a Change request and Stuck at a point. The below awk command is used in the function. float_test ( ) { echo | awk 'END { exit ( !( '"$1"')); }' } I understand that awk 'END' is used to add one line at the end and exit is used to end the script with an error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
4 Replies
RECOLL(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RECOLL(1)

NAME
recoll - user interface for the Recoll full text search system SYNOPSIS
recoll [ -c <configdir> ] [ -o | -l | -f | -a ] [ -t ] [ -q <query> ] DESCRIPTION
The recoll command will start the graphical user interface for querying the Recoll database. On the first run, recoll will create the user configuration which can be customized before starting the first indexation. The -c option specifies the configuration directory name, overriding the default or $RECOLL_CONFDIR. The -q option can be used to specify an initial query on the command line. This query will be interpreted by default as a query language string. If -a is specified, the query string will be interpreted as an all words simple search query. If -o is specified, the query string will be interpreted as an any word simple search query. If -f is specified, the query string will be interpreted as a file name simple search query. If -l is specified, the query string will be interpreted as a query language simple search query. If -t is specified, the Graphical User Interface will not be started, and results will be printed to the standard output. Additional options understood by the recollq command may be specified in this case. These can control the output format and the maximum number of results to be printed. Please refer to online help for a full description. SEE ALSO
recollindex(1) recollq(1) recoll.conf(5) 8 January 2006 RECOLL(1)