Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shared Library Issue HP UX
Operating Systems HP-UX Shared Library Issue HP UX Post 302342159 by jim mcnamara on Friday 7th of August 2009 02:43:49 PM
Old 08-07-2009
I would question what odd thing dld has been asked to do.... it sounds like running code is attempting to write read-only memory.

what does the output of ldd show for one of the libraries?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shared Library

hello all I want to work in shared libraries how can i work in Linux Environment ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shared library

What is the primary difference between static library and dynamic library? and how to write static shared library? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: areef4u
1 Replies

3. Programming

Shared memory in shared library

I need to create a shared library to access an in memory DB. The DB is not huge, but big enough to make it cumbersome to carry around in every single process using the shared library. Luckily, it is pretty static information, so I don't need to worry much about synchronizing the data between... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
12 Replies

4. Programming

Using funcion in a shared library

Is there any way in C to access a function in C shared library. I have used dlopen to access /load the c shared library but unable to use the function in the shared object. Thanks in advance :b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yhacks
1 Replies

5. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a Makefile from building static library to shared library?

Hi: I have a library that it only offers Makefile for building static library. It built libxxx.a file. How do I in any way build a shared library? (either changin the Makefile or direct script or command to build shared library) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpthk
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Overhead of using a shared library

Hi, I found a very strange thing when I linked my executable with a shared library. That is the executable only references a small function of the shared library, and the size of this function is only hundred bytes, but when I check the /proc/pid/smaps, I found that the 'Rss' of this shared... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dongping84
8 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Linking to a shared library

I'm trying to get Valgrind to work with an openmpi application in OS X. However I want to hardcode the path to a shared library called libmpiwrap-amd64-darwin.so into my application so that it is available at runtime. In Linux this is relatively simple, I would just add the option... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Valgrinder
0 Replies

9. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

10. AIX

Add shared members from library to same library in a different directory

I'm trying to install libiconv to AIX 7.1 from an rpm off of the perzl site. The rpm appears to install but I get this error message. add shr4.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a add shr.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kneemoe
5 Replies
LDD(1)                                                       Linux Programmer's Manual                                                      LDD(1)

NAME
ldd - print shared object dependencies SYNOPSIS
ldd [option]... file... DESCRIPTION
ldd prints the shared objects (shared libraries) required by each program or shared object specified on the command line. An example of its use and output is the following: $ ldd /bin/ls linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffcc3563000) libselinux.so.1 => /lib64/libselinux.so.1 (0x00007f87e5459000) libcap.so.2 => /lib64/libcap.so.2 (0x00007f87e5254000) libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f87e4e92000) libpcre.so.1 => /lib64/libpcre.so.1 (0x00007f87e4c22000) libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f87e4a1e000) /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00005574bf12e000) libattr.so.1 => /lib64/libattr.so.1 (0x00007f87e4817000) libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f87e45fa000) In the usual case, ldd invokes the standard dynamic linker (see ld.so(8)) with the LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS environment variable set to 1. This causes the dynamic linker to inspect the program's dynamic dependencies, and find (according to the rules described in ld.so(8)) and load the objects that satisfy those dependencies. For each dependency, ldd displays the location of the matching object and the (hexadeci- mal) address at which it is loaded. (The linux-vdso and ld-linux shared dependencies are special; see vdso(7) and ld.so(8).) Security Be aware that in some circumstances (e.g., where the program specifies an ELF interpreter other than ld-linux.so), some versions of ldd may attempt to obtain the dependency information by attempting to directly execute the program, which may lead to the execution of whatever code is defined in the program's ELF interpreter, and perhaps to execution of the program itself. (In glibc versions before 2.27, the upstream ldd implementation did this for example, although most distributions provided a modified version that did not.) Thus, you should never employ ldd on an untrusted executable, since this may result in the execution of arbitrary code. A safer alterna- tive when dealing with untrusted executables is: $ objdump -p /path/to/program | grep NEEDED Note, however, that this alternative shows only the direct dependencies of the executable, while ldd shows the entire dependency tree of the executable. OPTIONS
--version Print the version number of ldd. -v, --verbose Print all information, including, for example, symbol versioning information. -u, --unused Print unused direct dependencies. (Since glibc 2.3.4.) -d, --data-relocs Perform relocations and report any missing objects (ELF only). -r, --function-relocs Perform relocations for both data objects and functions, and report any missing objects or functions (ELF only). --help Usage information. BUGS
ldd does not work on a.out shared libraries. ldd does not work with some extremely old a.out programs which were built before ldd support was added to the compiler releases. If you use ldd on one of these programs, the program will attempt to run with argc = 0 and the results will be unpredictable. SEE ALSO
pldd(1), sprof(1), ld.so(8), ldconfig(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2017-09-15 LDD(1)