Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cron job shell script..
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cron job shell script.. Post 302342124 by Tytalus on Friday 7th of August 2009 12:35:34 PM
Old 08-07-2009
yeah- that will run at 01:30 every day, not every 90 mins.

you could try running it every 30 mins, and set a flag file - test the age of the file, and if greater than, say 70 mins, run your command and retouch your flag file...

Or set a counter,

Or simply set a sleep timer in there, after which time it re-runs itself...

Or get your script to calculate next run time and reschedule using at

HTH,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON-Job / Shell-Skript deleting special files

Just I'm trying to find script, which will do the following job: 1. as a CRON-Job it shoult a) delete files which will be either older than 24 hours or b) all files within a) a directory deleting recursive b) only a special directory. 2. write an error-/Delete_log... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ManfredWL
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup with shell program and cron job.

Hi, The object of my program is to take automatic backup on daily basis to different folders. I have created the respective folders. when I execute below given shell program manually it is working perfectly and taking the backup to respective folder. #!/bin/sh #script to take backup on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jarkvarma
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script run by user or cron job ?

My shell script runs fine both as a cron job and when i issue it. However, I wish to differentiate when it runs as a cron-job so the "echo" statements are not issued (they get mailed to me, which i don't want). I tried checking $USER but since the cron was created in my user that does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job - shell code correction

Hi I have a website that is having problem with cron jobs... I have a cron job set up to go to a page with this code... <? include('config.php'); if($_sys->bible_email_frequency == 'DAILY') { $u = new user(); $u->send_bible_email(); } ?> If i send my browser to this page... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whybelieve
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT: cron job not running the sqlplus command in shell script

cron job not running the sqlplus command in shell script but the shell script works fine from command line.. Cronjob: 5 * * * * /home/dreg/script.sh script.sh: #!/bin/ksh /oracle/u000/app/oracle/product/10204/GEN/bin/sqlplus -s <user>/<pass>@<sid/home/dreg/sqlscript.sh ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikea
18 Replies

6. Solaris

Shell Script gives error when run through cron job.

Hi, The following shell script runs without any problem when executed manulally. USED=$(df -h /arch | tail -1 | awk '{print $5}' | cut -d '%' -f 1) if then find /arch/AUBUAT/ -type f -mtime +0 | xargs rm find /arch/AUBMIG/ -type f -mtime +0 | xargs rm fi But the same gives below... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksadiq79
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron job for the created shell script

Hi am newbie for unix shell.. how to create a cron job for my already created shell script.:confused: Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job and shell script to kill a process if memory gets to high

Hello, I'd like to set a cron job that runs a shell script every 30 minutes or so to restart a java based service if the memory gets above 80%. Any advice on how to do this? Thanks in advance! - Ryan (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not getting called through cron job but executes fine manually.

Hi, My shell script not getting called through cron job. The same works fine when executed manually. I tried to generate logs to find if the scripts has some errors related to path using following command- trying to execute .sh file every 5 mins: */5 * * * * /home/myfolder/abc.sh... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dejavu20
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to set trap for finding cron job failures

Unix box: solaris 5.8 Server: IP Need to to set trap for cron job failures by writing a shell script (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChandruBala73
5 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] crontab [-elr] DESCRIPTION
crontab is the program used to install, deinstall, or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in ISC Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var/cron, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the /var/cron/allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the /var/cron/allow file does not exist but the /var/cron/deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the /var/cron/deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, depending on the compiled in settings, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or everyone will be allowed to use this command. On NetBSD everyone is allowed to use this command. The default maximum size for a crontab is 256 kilobytes, but this may be changed for all users on the system by putting the desired maximum size (in bytes) in the /var/cron/maxtabsize file. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/var/cron/allow Optional list of users that are allowed to use crontab. /var/cron/deny Optional list of users that are disallowed to use crontab. /var/cron/maxtabsize Maximum size of crontab files. Defaults to 256 kilobytes. /var/cron/tabs/ Directory containing the individual user crontab files, named after the user. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic Version 3 AT&T UNIX syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> BSD
May 6, 2010 BSD