Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Return Awk Variable to Shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Return Awk Variable to Shell Post 302342090 by kshji on Friday 7th of August 2009 11:05:21 AM
Old 08-07-2009
Code:
oifs="$IFS"
line="a:b:c"

# only ksh
echo $line | IFS=":" read v1 v2 v3 vx
echo "A v1:$v1, v2:$v2"

# ksh+bash:
IFS=":" read v1 v2 v3 vx <<EOF
$line
EOF
echo "C v1:$v1, v2:$v2"

# ksh+bash:
IFS=":"
array=( $line )
IFS="$oifs"
echo "D v1:${array[0]}, v2:${array[1]}"

And all previous ...

In ksh you can use also set to array (compare chihung set), save current IFS, set IFS=:" and return IFS. Values are in the array, starting index 0.
Code:
set -A array -- $line

Using awk to parse only one line, awk is slowest, but if whole script has done using awk, awk is much faster as ksh/bash/sh script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

return variable from PL/SQL procedure to shell

Hi i'm calling a pl/sql procedure which is returning one variable. i'm trying to assing this value to variable in shell script the code i wrote is ** in shell script** var= 'sqlplus user/pass @ret.sql' echo $var ** and variable dum_var number exec rt_test(:DUM_VAR); exit; in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ap_gore79
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use substr to return data into a shell script variable?

I'm writing a shell script in which I need to be able to pull a portion of the file name out. I'm testing with the following code: x="O1164885.DAT" y=`ls -ltr *${x}|awk '{print substr($0,3)}'` echo ${x}|awk '{print substr($0,3)}' echo "y="$y I can echo it to the screen just fine but I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ttunell
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk return variable

Hi I have 2 working script, now i'd like to get the return value from the first and give it to the 2 script (both script work correctly if I run it separately). so i think the problem is only the first line in the way i pass the variable. in the final the "print lst", is just to check the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return a value of a variable from shell script to perl script

HI , Is there any way to return a value of variable from shell to perl script. Code: === Perl file my $diff1=system("sh diff.sh"); my $diff2=system("sh diff1.sh"); I need exit status of below commands i.e 0 and 1 respectively. Since in both the cases diff is working so system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkelect
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning return value of an embedded SQL in a shell script variable

I've a script of the following form calling a simple sql that counts the no of rows as based on some conditions. I want the count returned by the sql to get assigned to the variable sql_ret_val1. However I'm finding that this var is always getting assigned a value of 0. I have verified by executing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MxC
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return value inside isql to a shell variable in ksh

Hello, I have a shell script where I am doing an isql to select some records. the result i get from the select statement is directed to an output file. I want to assign the result to a Shell variable so that I can use the retrieved in another routine. e.g. "isql -U${USER} -P${PASSWD} -S${SERVER}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RookieDev
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Variables passed to awk to return certain rows

Hi Forum. I have the following test.txt file and need to extract certain rows based on "starting position", "length of string" and "string to search for": 1a2b3d 2a3c4d ..... My script accepts 3 parameters: (starting col pos, length to search for, string to search for) and would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)