Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep with regular expression optional value Post 302341744 by durden_tyler on Thursday 6th of August 2009 01:15:38 PM
Old 08-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by necroman08
But what if this field is not the last one in the row. Like this:

field 12345 12345 a
field 12345 a
field 12345 123456 a
I guess in this case, your conditions are:

(i) Print the line if the number of fields is less than 3
(ii) If the 3rd field exists, print the line if it does not consist of any digits. Its length does not matter here.
(iii) If the 3rd field exists, print the line if it consists ONLY of digits and has a length of 5 or less.
(iv) There can be more than 3 fields, and the line will be printed as long as rules (ii) and (iii) are satisfied.

So for the data below, you want to display lines 1,2,4 and 7:

Code:
$
$ cat -n data.txt
     1  field 12345 12345 a
     2  field 12345 a
     3  field 12345 123456 a
     4  field 12345
     5  field 12345 12aQ~
     6  field 12345 12aQ~ 123
     7  field 12345 1340 4578 abc AB#xy2
$
$

Perl script:

Code:
$
$ perl -ne '@a=split; $f=$a[2]; ($x=$f)=~s/\d//g; ($y=$f)=~s/\D//g;
>           print if ( $#a<2 or
>                      ($#a>=2 and $x eq $f) or
>                      ($#a>=2 and $y eq $f and length($f)<=5)
>                    )' data.txt
field 12345 12345 a
field 12345 a
field 12345
field 12345 1340 4578 abc AB#xy2
$
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep : regular expression

guys, my requirment goes like this: I have a file, and wish to filter out records where 1. The first letter is o or O and 2. The next 4 following letter should not be ther I do not wish to use pipe and wish to do it in one shot. The best expression I came up with is: grep ^*... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regarding grep regular expression

When i do ls -ld RT_BP* i am getting the following list. drwxrwx--- 2 user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP809 drwxrwx--- 2user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP809.O drwxrwx--- 2 user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP810 drwxrwx--- 2user group 256 Oct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with regular expression

Hi, guys. I have one question, hope somebody can give me a hand I have a file called passwd, the contents of it arebelow: *********************** ... goldsimj:x:5008:200: goldsij2:x:5009:200: whitej:x:5010:201: brownj:x:5011:202: goldsij3:x:5012:204: greyp:x:5013:203: ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep regular expression

please can someone tell me what the following regrex means grep "^aa*$" <file> I thought this would match any word beginning with aa and ending with $, but it doesnt. Thanks in advance Calypso (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and regular expression

Hi, I am executing a svnlook command to check to see if the following line exists. I need a regular expression to represent the line. A /test/test1/qa/test2/index.html A /test/test1/qa/test3/test.jpg A /test/test1/qa/test3/test1.jpg A /test/test1/qa/test4/test.swf I just need to extract... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kminkeller
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep / regular expression

Hi, Input file: -13- -1er- -1xyz1- -1xz12- -2ab1- -2ab2-- -143- Code: grep '^*\-' input.txt Wrong output: -13- -1xyz1- -2ab1- -2ab2-- (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
4 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep with variable and regular expression

i have a command line like this in csh script grep -i "$argv$" which i wanted to select the line ending with string provided as argument but it couldn't interpret the '$' (ending with).. any help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymc1g11
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep + Regular expression or

Hi , I have few lines like A20120101.ANU.ZIP A20120401.ABC.ZIP A20120105.KJK.ZIP A20120809.JUG.ZIP A20120101.MAT.ZIP B20120301.ANU.XIP I want to filter by 1. Files starting with A and Ending With Z ( ^A.*.ZIP$) 2. And either ANU, or KJK or MAT in the file name. Hope my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep regular expression

I want to track only below: I am using below, but it doesn't work: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies
PERLDBMFILTER(1)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  PERLDBMFILTER(1)

NAME
perldbmfilter - Perl DBM Filters SYNOPSIS
$db = tie %hash, 'DBM', ... $old_filter = $db->filter_store_key ( sub { ... } ); $old_filter = $db->filter_store_value( sub { ... } ); $old_filter = $db->filter_fetch_key ( sub { ... } ); $old_filter = $db->filter_fetch_value( sub { ... } ); DESCRIPTION
The four "filter_*" methods shown above are available in all the DBM modules that ship with Perl, namely DB_File, GDBM_File, NDBM_File, ODBM_File and SDBM_File. Each of the methods works identically, and is used to install (or uninstall) a single DBM Filter. The only difference between them is the place that the filter is installed. To summarise: filter_store_key If a filter has been installed with this method, it will be invoked every time you write a key to a DBM database. filter_store_value If a filter has been installed with this method, it will be invoked every time you write a value to a DBM database. filter_fetch_key If a filter has been installed with this method, it will be invoked every time you read a key from a DBM database. filter_fetch_value If a filter has been installed with this method, it will be invoked every time you read a value from a DBM database. You can use any combination of the methods from none to all four. All filter methods return the existing filter, if present, or "undef" if not. To delete a filter pass "undef" to it. The Filter When each filter is called by Perl, a local copy of $_ will contain the key or value to be filtered. Filtering is achieved by modifying the contents of $_. The return code from the filter is ignored. An Example: the NULL termination problem. DBM Filters are useful for a class of problems where you always want to make the same transformation to all keys, all values or both. For example, consider the following scenario. You have a DBM database that you need to share with a third-party C application. The C application assumes that all keys and values are NULL terminated. Unfortunately when Perl writes to DBM databases it doesn't use NULL termination, so your Perl application will have to manage NULL termination itself. When you write to the database you will have to use something like this: $hash{"$key"} = "$value"; Similarly the NULL needs to be taken into account when you are considering the length of existing keys/values. It would be much better if you could ignore the NULL terminations issue in the main application code and have a mechanism that automatically added the terminating NULL to all keys and values whenever you write to the database and have them removed when you read from the database. As I'm sure you have already guessed, this is a problem that DBM Filters can fix very easily. use strict; use warnings; use SDBM_File; use Fcntl; my %hash; my $filename = "filt"; unlink $filename; my $db = tie(%hash, 'SDBM_File', $filename, O_RDWR|O_CREAT, 0640) or die "Cannot open $filename: $! "; # Install DBM Filters $db->filter_fetch_key ( sub { s/$// } ); $db->filter_store_key ( sub { $_ .= "" } ); $db->filter_fetch_value( sub { no warnings 'uninitialized'; s/$// } ); $db->filter_store_value( sub { $_ .= "" } ); $hash{"abc"} = "def"; my $a = $hash{"ABC"}; # ... undef $db; untie %hash; The code above uses SDBM_File, but it will work with any of the DBM modules. Hopefully the contents of each of the filters should be self-explanatory. Both "fetch" filters remove the terminating NULL, and both "store" filters add a terminating NULL. Another Example: Key is a C int. Here is another real-life example. By default, whenever Perl writes to a DBM database it always writes the key and value as strings. So when you use this: $hash{12345} = "something"; the key 12345 will get stored in the DBM database as the 5 byte string "12345". If you actually want the key to be stored in the DBM database as a C int, you will have to use "pack" when writing, and "unpack" when reading. Here is a DBM Filter that does it: use strict; use warnings; use DB_File; my %hash; my $filename = "filt"; unlink $filename; my $db = tie %hash, 'DB_File', $filename, O_CREAT|O_RDWR, 0666, $DB_HASH or die "Cannot open $filename: $! "; $db->filter_fetch_key ( sub { $_ = unpack("i", $_) } ); $db->filter_store_key ( sub { $_ = pack ("i", $_) } ); $hash{123} = "def"; # ... undef $db; untie %hash; The code above uses DB_File, but again it will work with any of the DBM modules. This time only two filters have been used; we only need to manipulate the contents of the key, so it wasn't necessary to install any value filters. SEE ALSO
DB_File, GDBM_File, NDBM_File, ODBM_File and SDBM_File. AUTHOR
Paul Marquess perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 PERLDBMFILTER(1)