Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting understanding the sed command Post 302341733 by peterro on Thursday 6th of August 2009 01:00:29 PM
Old 08-06-2009
Note the difference of the two equivalent entries:

Code:
a=/clocal/dctrdata/user/dctrdat1/trdroot/recouncil
b=`echo $a |  sed 's/\//\\\\\//g'`
echo $b
\/clocal\/dctrdata\/user\/dctrdat1\/trdroot\/recouncil

Code:
echo $a | sed 's/\//\\\\\//g'
\\/clocal\\/dctrdata\\/user\\/dctrdat1\\/trdroot\\/recouncil

Don't know exactly how to explain it but it seems that when the variable is assigned, there is an extra level of escape that is happening when echoing that variable which returns the different result.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed in understanding this command

Hi All, I search the forum for my query, Glad that got solution to it. But i really want to understand how does this command work. sed -e ':a' -e 's/\("*\),\(*"\)/\1~\2/;ta' Basically it is replacing all the comma(,) characters in between quotes with a tilde. Specially what does ':a' ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSDexter
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding the kill command

Hi Guys, I like to know if i have a process which triggers 10 different child processes. How to identify out of the 11 processes running which is the parent process and what are the child process? And if i kill the parent process will the child process be killed.. if not is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help understanding sed

I am trying to create a basic script that converts an Oracle script into a Sybase script. The only things im changing are Datatypes and the to_char and to_date functions. I am not really 100% sure of the way it works. I have tried running the functions through a loop to replace each word line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makaer
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding mv command

hi i was moving a file from one directory to another with the following cmmand mv /home/hsghh/dfd/parent/file.txt . while doing so i i accidently mv /home/hsghh/dfd/dfd . although i gave ctrl c and terminate the move command some of the file are missing in the parent directory and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Understanding 'du' command

Hi I have a questions related 2 commands : 'du' and 'ls'. Why is the difference between output of 'du' and 'ls' cmd's ? Command 'du' : ------------------ jakubn@server1 /home/jakubn $ du -s * 4 engine.ksh 1331 scripts 'du -s *' ---> shows block count size on disk (512 Bytes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding nm command output

After running nm command on any object file from out put can we get to know that wheather a symbol is a call to a function or definition of function ? I am searching a class and function definitions inside many .so files. I have 3 files which contain the symbol but I don't know wheather they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yatrik007
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding sed command

Hi Friends, I need a small help in understanding the below sed command. $ cat t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init last $ sed 's/*$//' t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forroughuse
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help understanding regex with grep & sed

I have the following line of code that works wonders. I just don't completely understand it as I am just starting to learn regex. Can you help me understand exactly what is happening here? find . -type f | grep -v '^\.$' | sed 's!\.\/!!' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trogdortheburni
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding sed

Hi, can some one suggest me,how "sed" is managed to delete the second field here. Any explanation on , how the below code is working would be appreciated. sed 's/^\(*\)::/\1::/' /etc/passwd sed 's/*:/:/2' /etc/passwd (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Quick help on Understanding sed Regex

Hi Guys, Could you please kindly explain what exactly the below SED command will do ? I am quite confused and i assumed that, sed 's/*$/ /' 1. It will remove tab and extra spaces .. with single space. The issue is if it is removing tab then it should be Î right .. please assist.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
3 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)