Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Get the last value in the input stream Post 302341671 by Scott on Thursday 6th of August 2009 10:44:11 AM
Old 08-06-2009
Hi.

The read command reads from standard input. You are passing it in this case as a parameter, so you should access it using $1

i.e.

Code:
#abc.sh:
echo "The input was: " $1

If you really want to use read, then:
Code:
echo $1 | read input
echo "The input was: " $input

But that's kinda pointless here, I think.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stream output??

Hi all, I've a structure let's say typdef struct a { int a; int b; char* string} b; I need to make the function smth like readdir(), returning everytime it's called pointer to the next structure. Let's say functions would read the next file in the directory and all the permitions put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solvman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stream MP3s

What is a good and easy to set up program on Unix FreeBSD for playing streaming MP3s. Where can I get it and how do I install it? This is FreeBSD 4.3. Thanx. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ByondF1
2 Replies

3. Programming

File I/O Stream

Hi All, I am trying to read data from two files and then compare them and only print the records on the screen that have a same ID.i.e TAGNO =CUSTOMERNO For Eg My Input Files are (a) Transaction (b) Customer detail The data in file a is like: TagNo Date Time Station... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

the stream edditor

:D i have searched through several sites on google for a match up for sed that would go indepth into the workings of this interactive edditor.. I use it every day and it is the edditor of my choice so i know a few tricks but would very much like to get into the more complex uses of sed.. all the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

5. Solaris

change priority of stream

Is it possible to change priority of stream process ? Original source: stream ./javawebserver Desired change is kind of: nice --10 of (stream ./javawebserver) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Awk for stream log

Hi Master, I've log in here then try parsing log become : 3GPP-IMSI,Calling-Station-Id 528111500111614,6738790448 528111500068173,6738769831 ..... it is possible to use awk? cause i 've try awk ' /\Accounting\ /{f=1} f && /\3GPP-IMSI \:\ String Value\ /{imsi=$4} f &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bowbowz
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Stream video

Hello, I have Ubuntu 64 bit 9.04 install dual boot I can't see stream videos through Opera I couldnt see it in Firefox did this: "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras flashplugin-nonfree" Now I can see it in firefox but not in Opera Should not care and just use just Firefox. thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pitroadrush
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Video stream] network stream recording with mplayer

Hi I used this command: mplayer http://host/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi -user root -passwd root \ -cache 1024 -fps 25.0 -nosound -vc ffh264 \ -demuxer 3 -dumpstream -dumpfile output.avi It's ok but... Video Playing is very fast! Why? Is it a synch problem? What parameter I have to use for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: takeo.kikuta
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a file from input stream

Hi, Need some help with creating a file from input steam. Meaning from following command myfunc should be able to store the input stream to a file. echo a b c | myfunc The file thus created should have - a b c Here's what I've tried in myfunc() but didn't help - myfunc() { cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
3 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)