Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with txt formatting using AWK Post 302341657 by eknryan on Thursday 6th of August 2009 10:27:37 AM
Old 08-06-2009
Cheers Panyam,
I have used the linked txt previously. Although it seems pretty comprehensive I have found it quite hard to learn from. Perhaps it just me, with no previous knowledge of scripts and little computer aptitude, but I find it much easier to learn from an example. Although the link gives examples I find them hard to follow. I think I can "read" your solution but I am confused. Am I right in thinking that if the record number is zero for column 1 or 2 then
Code:
{ a[$1]=a[$1]","$3"-"$4;t=$1;s=$2 }

applies or else
Code:
{ a[$1]=a[$1]"/"$2":"$3"-"$4;t=$1
;s=$2 }

This would not give the output it does though. Have I misunderstood the record number condition?

Thanks again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting using awk

Let's say I write a simple script that contains the following: date | awk '{print $1}' date | awk '{print $2}' Of course, when I run the script the output will look similar to: Tue Mar What if I want my ouput to be on one line as follows: Tue Mar What changes would I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo "ABC" > file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt

Hi Guru's, I need to create 3 files with the contents "ABC" using single command. Iam using: echo "ABC" > file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt the above command is not working. pls help me... With Regards / Ganapati (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK formatting help.

Dear all I require help with AWK regarding this situation Input is : fn1 12345 fn1 23456 fn3 231513 fn1 22325 fn3 123125 Desired output is fn1 12345 23456 22325 fn3 231513 123125 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peasant
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting awk

when i try this awk its giving out put as below. awk '!(/^$/||/--/||/selected/||/^ *$/){print $1}' tmp.txt output ===== 1 2010-08-03-12.31.26.126000 how excluede the 1st line ? i mean i want output only 2nd line i.e 2010-08-03-12.31.26.126000; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk append fileA.txt to growing file B.txt

This is appending a column. My question is fairly simple. I have a program generating data in a form like so: 1 20 2 22 3 23 4 12 5 43 For ever iteration I'm generating this data. I have the basic idea with cut -f 2 fileA.txt | paste -d >> FileB.txt ???? I want FileB.txt to grow, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: theawknewbie
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk formatting

Hi all, I'm writing a simple awk code: awk 'BEGIN {FS="|"};{print "Type\tNumber\ttypes\tTotal";};{print $1, "\t", $2, "\t", $3, "\t", $4, "\t";}' db_query.txt it gives me the result: Type Number types Total XXX 498.0 5100.0 5274.661 Type Number types Total... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desired output.txt for reading txt file using awk?

Dear all, I have a huge txt file (DATA.txt) with the following content . From this txt file, I want the following output using some shell script. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greetings, emily DATA.txt (snippet of the huge text file) 407202849... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, sed, shell all words in INPUT.txt find in column1 of TABLE.txt and replce with column2 in

Hi dears i have text file like this: INPUT.txt 001_1_173 j nuh ]az 001_1_174 j ]esma. nuh ]/.xori . . . and have another text like this TABLE.txt j j nuh word1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
6 Replies
TZSELECT(8)						    Linux System Administration 					       TZSELECT(8)

NAME
tzselect - select a timezone SYNOPSIS
tzselect DESCRIPTION
The tzselect program asks the user for information about the current location, and outputs the resulting timezone description to standard output. The output is suitable as a value for the TZ environment variable. All interaction with the user is done via standard input and standard error. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is zero if a timezone was successfully obtained from the user, nonzero otherwise. ENVIRONMENT
AWK Name of a Posix-compliant awk program (default: awk). TZDIR Name of the directory containing timezone data files (default: /usr/share/zoneinfo). FILES
TZDIR/iso3166.tab Table of ISO 3166 2-letter country codes and country names. TZDIR/zone.tab Table of country codes, latitude and longitude, TZ values, and descriptive comments. TZDIR/TZ Time zone data file for timezone TZ. SEE ALSO
tzfile(5), zdump(8), zic(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2007-05-18 TZSELECT(8)