Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question regarding cat command Post 302341654 by Franklin52 on Thursday 6th of August 2009 10:23:06 AM
Old 08-06-2009
Quote the variable if you have spaces in your filename:

Code:
cat "$Y"

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange cat question.

Does anyone know what the microprograms behind cat (and other commands) are like? In what language are those programs designed? Is their source available somewhere? No particular reason, just wondering. I know it's a bit strange... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanchopansa
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about cat in script

hi all i have some script echo $$ > process-id d='cat process-id' if test-s "TMP"$d then echo "serv1" else echo "serv2" fi the variable d should contain the number of the process, instead of that it contains 'cat process-id' how shall i do that the d will contain only the number?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Question about cat and echo

Hello, I am trying to send text to a USB to serial adaptor and then to an external speech synthesizer. I tried using the cat and echo commands with no luck. I have gotten some audio output from my synthesizer using Kermit a terminal emulator, so I am pretty sure my synthesizer and my USB to serial... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesapp
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy cat question

I am having problems getting a list of filenames that I want from a directory. example: I have 3 files - filename.xxx.20110505.123030 filename.yyy.20110505.123030 filename.zzz.20110505.123030 There may be multiple xxx,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat question

Can any one guide me how can i accomplish this by script i continuously receive files via our ftp server into a certain folder is there a way i can take those files cat it to a new file by hour and create a new file when new hour starts? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shehzad_m
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding Cat

Can we concatenate say, I have a few files prefixing with 2009... So now i want all the 2009 files into one single file.. Can this be achieved???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat question

hello! why this works? cd /home/user cat * | ecasound -i stdin -o jack and this doesn't? cd /home/user/somedirectory cat * | ecasound -i stdin -o jack somedirectory are full with exe files which are the best source for this sort of noise thing (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlhungus
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple cat and echo question

Apologies, probably a really simple problem: I've got a text file (nh.txt) with this in it: user1 email1 email2 user2 email1 email2 etc With the following basic script: for tline in $(cat nh.txt) do echo "**********" echo $tline done ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelmo
3 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Cat/File Descriptor Question

For the command below, I need to understand what exactly the command does and provide an examples for which the output will be saved to file save2... From my understanding, if the file provides an error in the first half of the pipe, it'll save to save1 and will never give an error to save to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayz649
2 Replies
Finance::Quote::Yahoo::Brasil(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Finance::Quote::Yahoo::Brasil(3)

NAME
Finance::Quote::Yahoo::Brasil - Fetch Brasiln stock quotes via Yahoo. SYNOPSIS
use Finance::Quote; my $q = Finance::Quote->new; my %info = $q->fetch("yahoo_brasil","BHP"); # Use this module only. my %info = $q->fetch("brasil","BHP"); # Failover with other methods. DESCRIPTION
This module allows information to be fetched from Yahoo abouts stocks traded on the Brasilian Stock Exchange. This module is loaded by default on a Finance::Quote object, although it can be explicitly loaded by passing the argument "Yahoo::Brasil" to Finance::Quote->new(). This module provides both the "brasil" and "yahoo_brasil" fetch methods. You should use the "brasil" method if you wish to allow failovers to other sources, and "yahoo_brasil" if you only want to obtain quotes from this module. Information obtained via this module is governed by Yahoo's terms and conditions, see http://br.finance.yahoo.com/ for more details. LABELS RETURNED
This module returns all the standard labels (where available) provided by Yahoo, as well as the currency label. See Finance::Quote::Yahoo::Base for more information. SEE ALSO
Yahoo Brasil, http://br.finance.yahoo.com/ Finance::Quote::Yahoo::Base perl v5.12.1 2009-10-05 Finance::Quote::Yahoo::Brasil(3)