Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using variable inside awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using variable inside awk Post 302341554 by zaxxon on Thursday 6th of August 2009 06:49:24 AM
Old 08-06-2009
Use " instead of ' or awk -v. There is a search function in this forum - this is asked quite often, also for sed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside awk '{print $c}'

i'm trying to do this (in bash darwin); echo "give me some words: " read a c=2 # this is get by other ways echo $a | awk '{print $c}' # i want to print the column given # by de $c variable if there is someone understand what i pretend... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting variable inside awk

Hi All, I have awk script for replacing the nth ocurance of a string in an xml file... My code is like this FILETYPE=xml TAGNAME=type OCCURANCE=$1 TAGVALUE=valueur echo OCCURANCE:$OCCURANCE echo TAGNAME:$TAGNAME echo TAGVALUE:$TAGVALUE awk -v n=$OCCURANCE -v... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use same variable value inside as well as outside of the awk command?

Hi Jim, The following script is in working state. But i m having one more problem with awk cmd. Could you tell me how to use any variable inside awk or how to take any variable value outside awk. My problem is i want to maintain one property file in which i am declaring variable value into that... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable inside AWK printf

Hi, Is it possible to print a variable inside awk printf ?? the above is not working (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variable inside awk

Hi, Please help me how to use variables inside awk in code below: ll | awk -v "yr=`date '+%Y'`" -v "mnth=`date '+%m'`" -v Jan=1 -v Feb=2 -v Mar=3 -v Apr=4 -v May=5 -v Jun=6 -v Jul=7 -v Aug=8 ' !/^d/ { if(NR>1) {printf "%-29s\t\t%s\t%5s\t\t%s %s,", $9,$1,$5,$`$6`,$7} }' Thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manubatham20
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using variable inside awk

HI, This is the code I am using: awk -v aaa="connect" 'BEGIN {IGNORECASE} /aaa/,/!/ {print NR}' bb This does not throw any error but it does not work. Pls help Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable assignment inside awk

Hi, Was hoping someone could help with the following: while read line; do pntadm -P $line | awk '{if (( $2 == 00 && $1 != 00 ) || ( $2 == 04 )) print $3,$5}'; done < /tmp/subnet_list Anyone know if it is possible to assign $3 and $5 to separate variables within the {} brackets? Thanks... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: CiCa
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable and awk inside for loop

Thanks all for taking time out and reading this thread and big Thanks to all who have come forward for rescue. Background: I have a variable "nbrofcols" that has number of columns from a data file. Now, using this count in for loop, I am trying to get the maximum length of each column present... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: svks1985
7 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)