Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Generating random numbers
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Generating random numbers Post 302341413 by phil_heath on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 11:56:35 PM
Old 08-06-2009
awk

does the $RANDOM function work for awk?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

generating random numbers with hamming distance 4

Hi I want to genrate 10 random 32 bit binary numbers with hamming distance 4 and 8. 11010110010101010101010101010101 11010110010101010100010101010010 if we look carefully at these two binary numbers they differ at 4 places hence hamming distance 4. Now I want to genrate these numbers... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hack_tom
2 Replies

2. Programming

generating 16 digit random number in C

Hi, How can we generate 16 digit random nos in C. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
10 Replies

3. Programming

C Help; generating a random number.

Im new to C, and Im having a hard time getting a random number. In bash, I would do something similar to the following to get a random number; #!/bin/bash seed1=$RANDOM seed2=$RANDOM seed3=$RANDOM SEED=`expr $seed1 * $seed2 / $seed3` echo ${SEED%.*} Now, in online examples... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Gaussian Distributed Random Numbers

I want to generate an awk function that generated a Gaussian distributed set of random numbers. I need to implement the thing below in awk. Rnd is just a uniform random number between 0 and 1 function rgaussian(r1, r2) { Do v1 = 2 * Rnd - 1 v2 = 2 * Rnd - 1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Generating 512MB file with dd using random data

Hello. Could anyone help me with my little annoying problem? I have to generate a 512 MB file made up with random data using DD. After some internet digging I found out that the command is: dd if=/dev/urandom of=/exemple/file bs=512MB After running this command the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: razolo13
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Random Number in certain range

Hi there I am trying to generate a random number between 40 and 70 using the shell here is my code so far and it keeps going above 70. all help much appreciated! comp=$(( RANDOM%70+40 )) echo $comp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faintingquiche
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random number generating script?

Having a hard time with this. Very new to scripting and linux. Spent all sunday trying to do this. Appreciate some help and maybe help breaking down what the syntax does. Create a Bash program. It should have the following properties • Creates a secret number between 1 and 100 i. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LINUXnoob15
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a Random String of 'n' length

Hi, How can I generate a string of random characters (alpha+numeric) of a particular length ? For e.g. for n=5, output = 'kasjf' n=10, output = 'hedbcd902k' Also, please let me know if random (valid) dates could also be generated. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishigc
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a POSIX random number?

Hi Guys and gals... As you know I am getting to grips with POSIX and hit this stumbling block. Generating two random numbers 0 to 255 POSIXly. Speed in not important hence the 'sleep 1' command. I have done a demo that works, but it sure is ugly! Is there a better way? #!/bin/sh # Random... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies
slarnv.f(3)							      LAPACK							       slarnv.f(3)

NAME
slarnv.f - SYNOPSIS
Functions/Subroutines subroutine slarnv (IDIST, ISEED, N, X) SLARNV returns a vector of random numbers from a uniform or normal distribution. Function/Subroutine Documentation subroutine slarnv (integerIDIST, integer, dimension( 4 )ISEED, integerN, real, dimension( * )X) SLARNV returns a vector of random numbers from a uniform or normal distribution. Purpose: SLARNV returns a vector of n random real numbers from a uniform or normal distribution. Parameters: IDIST IDIST is INTEGER Specifies the distribution of the random numbers: = 1: uniform (0,1) = 2: uniform (-1,1) = 3: normal (0,1) ISEED ISEED is INTEGER array, dimension (4) On entry, the seed of the random number generator; the array elements must be between 0 and 4095, and ISEED(4) must be odd. On exit, the seed is updated. N N is INTEGER The number of random numbers to be generated. X X is REAL array, dimension (N) The generated random numbers. Author: Univ. of Tennessee Univ. of California Berkeley Univ. of Colorado Denver NAG Ltd. Date: September 2012 Further Details: This routine calls the auxiliary routine SLARUV to generate random real numbers from a uniform (0,1) distribution, in batches of up to 128 using vectorisable code. The Box-Muller method is used to transform numbers from a uniform to a normal distribution. Definition at line 98 of file slarnv.f. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for LAPACK from the source code. Version 3.4.2 Tue Sep 25 2012 slarnv.f(3)