Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FLAR Tape Backup/Restore
Operating Systems Solaris FLAR Tape Backup/Restore Post 302341390 by StarSol on Wednesday 5th of August 2009 08:53:13 PM
Old 08-05-2009
FLAR Tape Backup/Restore

I have a T2000 server that is JumpStarted with Solaris 10 from the JumpStart server. Host name and IP address is changed after that. Then we backup the server using FLAR to tape:

root.damas# date; flarcreate -c -t -n "Sol10_cairo_image" -a "engineering@starsolutions.com" -R / /dev/rmt/0n ; date
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:14:16 AM PDT
WARNING: hash generation disabled when using tape (-t)
Full Flash
Checking integrity...
Integrity OK.
Running precreation scripts...
Precreation scripts done.
Determining the size of the archive...
cpio: File size of "etc/mnttab" has decreased by 138
8146997 blocks
1 error(s)
The archive will be approximately 2.09GB.
Creating the archive...
8146997 blocks
Archive creation complete.
Running postcreation scripts...
Postcreation scripts done.

Running pre-exit scripts...
Pre-exit scripts done.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:08:44 PM PDT

Then attempted to restore from the tape by booting from Solairs 10 DVD, going through the menu choosing "F4_Flash" in the "Solaris Interactive Installation" window, then choose "Local Tape", specifying the device etc. Once this is complete, surprisingly the system comes back with the original hostname and IP address that was used by the JumpStart server. Where it is getting these from? The server is supposed to be recovered to the same status it was on right before the backup!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Backup Tape Restore?

I am trying to do a restore on a backup tape (DDS2) and am having a little trouble. For one, I dont know how the tape was made, whether is was tar, cpio, dump..etc. Anyone know how to restore a tape without knowing the format of the backup? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bake255
5 Replies

2. AIX

Restore a tape

Hello everyone I have a tape with some information that I got to restore, the tape was made with the fbackup command in a hp box. My question is that I have to restore in a Ibm box, how can I do this ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

5. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I cannot restore my backup from my exabyte tape drive

Hi All, I have an old Unix system used by a client as a backup server.I installed an Exabyte tape drive and on restarting the server and during POSTs, the system recognizes the tape drive with its scsi id. On running the command devstat -IAF, the system sees the tape drive quite well. When... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezleone
1 Replies

7. Solaris

flar restore with svm mirrors failing to create boot image

In a Solaris9 environment I'm trying to restore flash archive (flar) with SVM mirrored devices to same server via jumpstart server and it is failing to create boot file and drops down to a command prompt in single user mode, metastat -i and metastat -p output looks good when compared to the ones... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
0 Replies

8. AIX

Tape backup/restore Date/time

good morning everyone how can i find the tape backup/restore Date/time? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Portabello
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 8 Flar Creation/Restore

I'm new to utilizing Solaris... especially the old 8 version, but I'm trying to find out if there is a way to create a Flash Archive of a disk that can be restored on a smaller size disk or disk of varying size? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scifi_vixen
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 Restore from flar image

Hi! I want to migrate Sun Fire v240 server (sun4u) with Solaris 10 update 6 to LDOM virtual host (sun4v). I was mount NFS directory from another server in /mnt and did this steps on v240 1) I add to the /var/sadm/system/admin/.platform PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4v # cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbubentsov
1 Replies